Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping after 16 months....

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:17 AM
  • 5 Replies

of NO pumping? Our son is 18 months old and still nursing. My husband has made the comment before that I should start pumping again so that our twins can have some breastmilk and that JJ would be able to start on it longer. Husband doesn't want me breastfeeding past two (no bashing-he is the MOST supportive). I am actually thinking of about pumping again. I HATE pumping but I would love for my older boys to have the breastmilk plus have some for JJ when he quits.

So what do you ladies think? Is is possible after 16 months of NOT pumping? Am I setting myself up for problems?

Disclaimer: I am what gdiamante (spl?) calls a freak of nature. When JJ was little I could pump AFTER breastfeeding and still get 4-6 ounces. While he was in the hospital his first week, I exclusively pumped every 2 hours and got 4 to 16ozs a session with an averege of 10ozs. I know, I know, I am a FREAK!! LOL

Looking for Designers-part-time, full-time and guest. Interested? Send me a messege.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mama02040608
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM
I had to pump when I got snowed in at work and ds was about 16 mos and after a full 24+ hours of no nursing, I barely pumped 2 ozs...I too am a dairy farm...once pumped 6 ozs from ONE breast after having previously pumped an hour before. You may be able to get a little, but I doubt enough to spread out among the family, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM

If you CAN nurse then yeah go for it..I couldn't pump much at all even without nursing..so pumping for missues sessions.

palexander
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I plan to continue breastfeeding but one day he will give it up so I would to have some in the freezer.

I guess I can try and see what happens.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM

The only reason you couldn't is the pump malfunctioning. Otherwise, go for it.

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:48 PM

These are good reasons to pump and if you are lactating you can do it.. go for it! Keep in mind that if you do not respond to the pump immediately or at all the first time, keep at it.. sometimes our bodies take a little time to adjust! 

breastfeeding.jpg breastfeeding image by evemarcelo     coexist.png coexist image by snowskichik            b209531870.jpg Pro Life image by bailey_has_adoptapox 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)