Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 month old without milk for 12 plus hours...hmmm

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM
  • 39 Replies

I need help!!! My  daughter has a 10 month old beautiful baby boy and they live with us. I believe he is not getting enough milk from her.  She has not pumped any milk in several months.  He still nurses..maybe 2 or 3 times a day.  My biggest concern is when his dad comes and gets him at night and he spends the night, he goes without milk for 12 or more hours.  Granted he is eating solids, but is it enough?  Please help!!!

Concerned Grandma

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM

he needs 4-5 nursings a day total..or she needs to pump some for him.  HE can go 12 hours sure, but he needs to nurse to make up for it later..4-5 times

mom2wy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I agree with previous poster!

eross_03
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM

She doesn't make up for the difference and lost time...he's been gone since around 10 last night and is still not back!  She refuses to pump and will not allow him to have formula.  How can I convince her that he needs more milk?

srhtinker1981
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Quoting eross_03:

She doesn't make up for the difference and lost time...he's been gone since around 10 last night and is still not back!  She refuses to pump and will not allow him to have formula.  How can I convince her that he needs more milk?

Are you sure that the dad isn't giving him formula. You should set him aside and ask to ease your mind.

Sarah

gaamom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Not that he has to be, but is he eating any dairy? yogurt? cheese? Before 1 year, BM or formula should be a baby's primary source of nutrition.

eross_03
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I agree, BM or formula should be his primary source of nutrition and that's what concerns me.  yes, sometimes we will give him yogurt but it should not be used to replace BM or formula.  How can I convince my daughter that he is not getting enough? How long should she nurse for/...she might nurse for about 5-10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day-thats if he's here.  As you can tell this really bothers me.  Last mo' when he went for his checkup..he's at (I believe) at 11% in weight. 

kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Let her know that at his age he should be getting at least 4 nursings a day, and if she can't then he should have enough supplement to make up for it. Maybe that will get her attention. Print off something from kellymom if you have to.

Tanya12
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM

My son would go 12+hours sometimes..and he was like 6months. I did 12hour shifts at the hospital and even though daddy offered him a bottle every few hours he refused to take it. He literally waited all day until I got home..Then he would cluster feed into the night to make up the difference. I didnt mind. This was at a time when he was exclusively breastfed..I mean he was way to young to have solids at all.
So at 10months..if hes having some solids to tie him over hell be ok. He may nurse more at night..either in frequency by cluster feeding or in duration just pulling more milk in per feeding.
Also nursing 5-10minutes/2-3 times a day means nothing at this point. He may be an efficient nurser..you cant tell how many ounces hes pulling at one sitting..That plus it sounds like he eats quite a few solids..I wouldnt be entirely too worried. Also really..11% in weight..It might sound low but every baby is different. As long as he is gaining hes not failing to thrive. My first was always a chunk and my second is not.
Im not saying theres no reason to question it..its good to question. But hes probably ok. In a few weeks you can give him whole milk.

eross_03
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Yes. He told me that he will not go against her wishes.  I told him the one that is suffering because of her pride and selfishness is the baby...no one else. He needs those nutrients.  I think she has done really well up until recently...but if she can't pump anymore, then the baby needs to have a supplement while she's not around.

jkleinman
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Take her to see a lactation consultant or talk to the child's ped. explain your concerns and let the ped explain to her the problems here. also talk to the father to see if he's giving formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)