Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm about to give up.....

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM
  • 17 Replies

We've had Thrush for almost 2 months now...nothing will get rid of it. I'm getting really frustrated. My nipples are killing me. I dread feeding her cause it hurts so bad. I'm about to just give it all up and feed her formula. I guess I just need some words of encouragement :( I really LOVE BFing but I just can't take much more of this :(

siggy3

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manda14311
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM
I don't know how to get rid of thrush. I've never had it. I'm so sorry. but you will regret giving up. u can do this, and she will thank you for it in about 25 years lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:28 AM
I have a friend who actually called that famous Dr. Hale. I believe she paid for consultation time with her (he is a famous pro-Breastfeeding doctor and ultimate source of info on meds and Breastfeeding) My friend and her baby had raging systemic yeast problems. If I recall, she eventually got relief from a nipple cream that was compounded from scratch at some pharmacy, the ingredients by his advice. I don't think she ever completely erradicated the yeast, but got it into tolerable levels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jen825
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Could you possibly pump for a while, so that you can stop passing it back and forth to eachother while you're being treated?

Kade625
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

C-nipple cream, mixed at the pharmacy. Works miracles! Maybe try using that and pumping while your nipples recover? 

kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Can anyone remember what the purple stuff is called? It works, it's natural. It WILL stain everything purple but it is worth it. Oh, it's Gentian Violet. Ask for it at the pharmacy and if they don't have it go to a health food store.

camsmom415
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Bless your heart. I'm so sorry to hear that. I suggest calling a LC and seeing what their advice is. I haven't had it so I don't really know what to tell you. I hope that things get better for you. Please don't give up. I know it's really hard on you right now but in the end it is soooooo worth the fight. Good luck momma!!!!

miasmommy21407
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Quoting Jen825:

Could you possibly pump for a while, so that you can stop passing it back and forth to eachother while you're being treated?

Pumping will not stop it from being passed back and forth. A friend's little boy picked up thrush at school because he got ahold of another child's sippy cup with his mom's milk in it who had thrush at the time.

What all have you tried?

And of all the things you have tried are you putting it both in the baby's mouth and on your nipples?

Are you allowing your nipples to air dry as much as possible so descrease the promotion of yeast growth?

Have you tried Gentian Violet? You can find it at the health food store and most pharmacies. You do not need a prescription and it's EXTREMELY affective!

I'm a FULL TERM BREASTFEEDING, Extended Rear Facing, Using the Infant Car Seat PROPERLY, Pro-Life, CONSERVATIVE, Mommy to Mia 2 and Dason 7 months.

Owner of the education group Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula (other than for medical reasons).

miasmommy21407
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM

A second the suggestion to call a lactation consultant. Many hospitals have them and most of the time if you call the hospital you delivered at (if you delivered at one) they will usually give you info over the phone for free if all you have is a few questions and don't actually need to be seen.

Apr1l
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM
Omg i know what you're going through!! We went through it repeated times for a few months too. The only thing that worked well was gv with diflucan spl? And limiting sugar intake and also thoroughly drying nipples. Gl! Hang in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamesAndMe
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I don't think you would be passing it back and forth unless you're not treating both of you at the same time..

Wash your bras and babies bedding in HOT water and TTO.  Sterilize all teething rings, toys that are chewed etc.  Don't use binkies unless you can sterilize them fully (ie: only use the kind that there is no water getting into the center).

What have you been doing to treat it? Nystatin cream doesn't work very well, at all.

Cut refined sugar and yeast (yeasty bread, bagels, etc.) out of your diet.

Try gentian violet, google how to treat with it. 

Probiotics. Plain Yogurt. No sugar.  Add fruit if you wish.  You can also buy probiotics at the health food store that you can give to both of you.

Don't give up. I know it is tough and painful.  But don't give up just yet!   I wouldn't switch to just pumping and feeding or you might never get baby back to the breast, and baby might not even take bottles/sippy or will still want to nurse at comfort times -  so you might as well keep nursing at least 90% of the time ... Plus, your supply could drop if you pump too much and do not nurse enough.  If you need a break here and there, pumping and putting in a regular CUP or valveless sippy would be okay - but don't do this long term or switch entirely to bottles or anything.  Bottles are breeding ground for yeast if not sterilized constantly, which can make the babies yeast worse, and they also can prove hazardous to supply and nursing relationship if baby should find a preference for the bottles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)