• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2oz isn't enough!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM
  • 63 Replies

Everything I read or most everything says that for breastfeed babies a 2oz bottle of milk is what they should get.  Well my son has had a few bottles to get used to me going back to work and after 2oz and a burp he still cries, we try rocking him, changing him, and a paci and he wont calm down until he gets 1 to 2 more oz, and he's only 4 weeks old and about 8lbs.  I though I was doing good because I can pump between 1 and 2 when he's getting a bottle so I tought I could exclusivly give him breast milk even when I work full time but now I dont know.

Also has anyone successfully worked full time and given bottles when you were at work and bf in the morning and night then only bf on weekends?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I haven't but I completely pumped and bottlefed. My lo never did the 2 oz thing either. At your son's age it was 3-4 oz and by 4 months we were up to 6 oz. I know that everyone is going to tell you that is to much, but that's what worked for me. She wasn't over or under weight and had no health issues. She was a very calm and content baby. I think everyone milk is different and what's right for one baby could make another baby starve. Listen to your baby he know's what he needs.

nngmommy83
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I can't answer your first question because according to everything I read and got here I overfed my DS while at work but like you 2oz at a time wasn't enough. How long was he satisfied after that bottle though? My DS took 6oz 2x while i was gone from 6:30-3:30 starting at 3months til 1 year old. I pumped every 3 hours at work and he never had to have formula. I started stocking up at 4weeks PP pumping in the morning. I BF on demand after work and on weekends with no problems. Good luck

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Your baby's stomach is TINY and can hold MAYBE about 2 ounces right now.  Giving him more will stretch the stomach and he will require more and more to feel full.  Giving a bottle is different than the breast and the baby does not get the full feeling as quickly as they do at the breast. 

chell.chell
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I always heard you should feed them until they do not want the bottle or boobie anymore. I am a first time mom though, but thats what everyone has told me. 

kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

You may have a fast flow and baby gets more at the breast anyway. So, naturally his stomache would be larger. I feel thats the case in my kids. If he's not satisfied with 2 oz but clearly satisfied and comfortable with 4, I see no reason to make him miserable.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Please read these:  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html  http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/the-one-ounce-per-hour-rule-of-bottle-feeding-during-mombaby-separation/

The more your baby gets from a bottle, the less he will take from you when he nurses and your supply will decrease as a result.  Babies WILL TAKE more than the NEED from a bottle because it comes out much faster and they can't control the flow like they can at the breast.

kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Quoting aehanrahan:

Please read these:  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html  http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/the-one-ounce-per-hour-rule-of-bottle-feeding-during-mombaby-separation/

The more your baby gets from a bottle, the less he will take from you when he nurses and your supply will decrease as a result.  Babies WILL TAKE more than the NEED from a bottle because it comes out much faster and they can't control the flow like they can at the breast.

Your first article had a calculator, pretty neat. I was only 1 oz over the max for when I was pumping. But, she was consuming the exact amount that I was pumping and was always satisfied and always finished every drop. At 6 months we were doing 6 / 6 oz bottles a day. Like I said earlier, just because MOST of babies can follow this rule doesn't mean that ALL will thrive on it.

kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I want to appologize, I forgot the fact that you are not fully pumping as I was. My baby refused me from day 2 untill she was 6 months old, so I had a medical grade pump and pumped the next bottle after I fed her the previous bottle. I never had a stash or more than one bottle at a time. I pumped 3 oz from each side and combined them in 1 bottle.

Now, that I am fully nursing with next to no pumping I can still pump 3 oz from one side and that is with my manual. So, it just goes to show that everyone and every baby is different. I have no problem with let down and the pump like that 2nd article said, so it may be different for you.

amanda0320
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM

i always take things that i read on that kind of stuff with a grain of salt.  your son is an individual and will do what suits him best.  and if you keep pumping you should be able to continue to get more out.  it takes some time for our breasts to get used to the pump.  since your son is still little 2-3 oz sounds about right.  i started pumping once a day when my daughter was 3 weeks or so and only got 2-3 oz out at a time as well.  she is now 5 1/2 weeks old and i just pumped 11 oz.  i still only pump once a day.  but remember that everybody is different.  some women may be able to pump more then others.  as far as the work thing goes it will again depend on your little guy and you.  some babies refuse to take the bottle the whole time and will just nurse like crazy when mommy gets back.  this will be normal even if working a full work day.  when are you going back to work?  i would get your son good and used to both breast and bottle before doing so.  idk though.  this is one of those things that will be a bit of a trial and error kind of thing as no one can give you one solid answer.  good luck tho mama.  i know you can do it!

mommy07JanA
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

my 4 week old wants 3-4 oz out of a bottle. less than that and he cries and screams for more. I try to  make him wait a little to give him time to realize he's full but he wants FED!!  He was a big baby though, 9lb3oz at birth. Even when I'm out and about and he gets a formula bottle (i know i shouldn't do but I'm not comfortable nursing in public just yet) he still takes 4 and then wants to eat 2-2 1/2 hours later. I just can't hardly keep him full!!! But I have a pretty quick letdown so I think he's getting quite a bit at the breast. Yesterday I just put my nipple shield on with him crying and the shiel filled with milk before he even was latched on!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)