Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new here & i need some help..

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM
  • 17 Replies

i just had my 3rd baby on tuesday & this is the first time im sucessfully bf-ing...i have some ?'s...my first is..my left nipple hurts SO bad..wat can i do to ease some of the pain..2nd is my daughter was born at 6lbs 1oz..wen were in the hosp she was eating off both sides in 1 feeding(well for the most part) wen we left the hosp she was down to 5lbs 15oz & is now only eating off one breast per feeding,is this ok or should i shorten the time she nurses on each breast so she feeds off both?!  **SN: my nipples do NOT protrude like they others & i was thinkin of buyin this product from walmart called latch assist(basically brings the nipple out)..& im also going to be recieving a pump in a few days..how often should i pump vs actaul nursing?! thank you ladies..this is all pretty much new for me bcuz my last baby would not latch on properly so i didnt get to do this & i dont want my milk to dry up bcuz of lack of baby nursing & i dont want to quit bcuz of the pain...

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Nursing on way side is just fine. Many babies prefer that. Let baby finish the first side burp and offer the other, if baby doesn't want it, fine after a while you can just quit offering the second, but I would continue for a while just to be sure.

The latch assist sounds good, but only use it on the side that hurts and discontinue as soon as possible.

Not sure you need to pump. What are your reasons for wanting to?

kbaby1624
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

i need the latch assist for both sides because my nipples dont get come out on there own...&i get engorged ALOT & my boobs hurt so incredibly bad by the time shes ready to nurse that it hurts more...& its ok that she only takes one side a feeding?! she'll nurse off both sides but will only nurse off of one side a feeding which is only for 15 mins tops!

Quoting kristinas8:

Nursing on way side is just fine. Many babies prefer that. Let baby finish the first side burp and offer the other, if baby doesn't want it, fine after a while you can just quit offering the second, but I would continue for a while just to be sure.

The latch assist sounds good, but only use it on the side that hurts and discontinue as soon as possible.

preacherskid
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Quoting kbaby1624:

i just had my 3rd baby on tuesday & this is the first time im sucessfully bf-ing...i have some ?'s...my first is..my left nipple hurts SO bad..wat can i do to ease some of the pain.

Breastmilk left to air dry, lanolin after, and have the latch checked.

.2nd is my daughter was born at 6lbs 1oz..wen were in the hosp she was eating off both sides in 1 feeding(well for the most part) wen we left the hosp she was down to 5lbs 15oz & is now only eating off one breast per feeding,is this ok or should i shorten the time she nurses on each breast so she feeds off both?! 

That's fine- DO NOT time her.  If anyone tells you to, ignore them.  Demand feeding is the best thing; it keeps your supply at pace with baby's needs.

**SN: my nipples do NOT protrude like they others & i was thinkin of buyin this product from walmart called latch assist(basically brings the nipple out).

Can't help too much there, sorry.

.& im also going to be recieving a pump in a few days..how often should i pump vs actaul nursing?

Do you need to pump because you will be gone?  If so, pump in the mornings and every 2-3 hours for a min. of ten minutes while away.  You can start that a week or two before you will be gone (like for work, school,etc)  Don't give bottles before you are going to be away; save what you pump in the freezer for a starting stash.  If you aren't going to be away from the baby for anu reason and thus need to pump to have her get it while you are gone, I wouldn't bother. It's a pain, and really isn't woth the hassle when the baby is right there to latch and nurse.

! thank you ladies..this is all pretty much new for me bcuz my last baby would not latch on properly so i didnt get to do this & i dont want my milk to dry up bcuz of lack of baby nursing & i dont want to quit bcuz of the pain...

kristinas8
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I've nursed 7 babies and all but the first nursed on one side. I have a fast let down and produce aprox. 3 oz a side so baby can get plenty that way. If you have a fast let down and lots of milk you can actually be doing harm by stopping the first side to latch the second. Baby would be getting too much foremilk.

preacherskid
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Quoting kbaby1624:

i need the latch assist for both sides because my nipples dont get come out on there own...&i get engorged ALOT & my boobs hurt so incredibly bad by the time shes ready to nurse that it hurts more...& its ok that she only takes one side a feeding?! she'll nurse off both sides but will only nurse off of one side a feeding which is only for 15 mins tops!

Quoting kristinas8:

Engorgement is normal at this point.  It should pass in a few weeks or so unless you start pumping a lot to prepare for being away from baby regularly; then it may take a little longer for it to pass as it will take longer for your supply to stabilize.

kbaby1624
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM
Thanks so much ladies!! The pump will b there for wen I need it for goin out as I am still tryin to get comfortable with bf-ing in front of dh..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Quoting kbaby1624:

i just had my 3rd baby on tuesday & this is the first time im sucessfully bf-ing...i have some ?'s...my first is..my left nipple hurts SO bad..wat can i do to ease some of the pain..   Put some of your milk on it and let it air dry.  You can also use lanolin or another nipple cream, but your milk has awesome healing properties. 2nd is my daughter was born at 6lbs 1oz..wen were in the hosp she was eating off both sides in 1 feeding(well for the most part) wen we left the hosp she was down to 5lbs 15oz & is now only eating off one breast per feeding,is this ok or should i shorten the time she nurses on each breast so she feeds off both?!   Do NOT limit time on the breast!  Let her nurse on one side until she comes off on her own.  You can offer the other side, but it is not needed. **SN: my nipples do NOT protrude like they others & i was thinkin of buyin this product from walmart called latch assist(basically brings the nipple out)..  GOOD!  Breast shells are also good.  You wear them in your bra when you're not nursing and they help draw the nipples out.  & im also going to be recieving a pump in a few days..how often should i pump vs actaul nursing?!   It depends on your reason for pumping.  Are you going back to work?  ALWAYS nurse on demand when you are there.  You can pump one side while nursing on the other during the first morning feeding.  thank you ladies..this is all pretty much new for me bcuz my last baby would not latch on properly so i didnt get to do this & i dont want my milk to dry up bcuz of lack of baby nursing & i dont want to quit bcuz of the pain...

Always nurse on demand when you are with the baby and ONLY give bottles when you are not there and your milk will not dry up.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Hand express a little to relieve the engorgement before latching.  This will help to get a better latch.

kbaby1624
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM
I tried that but I still have the nipple issue - i'm goin to try the latch assist 1st then the shells if all else fails..

Quoting aehanrahan:

Hand express a little to relieve the engorgement before latching.  This will help to get a better latch.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I'm not sure how the latch assist works, but one of the moderators here has recommended it as well as the shells.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)