Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

End and Outs of Breastfeeding...

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a 1 week old little boy and have been breastfeeding him since day one.  I do not know much about breastfeeding but he is back to his birth weight so I know he is getting something out of it.  I was just wondering what all do I need to know about breastfeeding...  He has a good latch on him and he stinkies after each feeding (not much stinky but a little squirt)  It also is a seedy looking.  He eats from every 2 hrs to 4 hrs.  I also feed on demand b/c I am trying to get him to gain more weight since he is 7lbs and 3 ounces.  So any advice on breast feeding and what to eat and not to eat, any advice would be appreciated.  I am wanting to do this for a little while and actually have enjoyed breast feeding.  My husband has also been very supportive of it and it is really helping me lose my baby weight.  He is my last baby and I really wanted to give breastfeeding a good try.

Some questions I have is...

How do I know when to switch boobs?

Should he eat from both breast at one feeding?

When should I try pumping some?

What foods are good and bad to eat?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ammie25
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Let him breastfeed from one side until he pops off. Burp, then try the other breast.

No, he doesn't necessarily need to nurse from both breasts at one feeding. My LO didn't the first few weeks. Once they are older and are awake a lil bit more, they may start, but it's not a must. Just make sure to breastfeed from the other side next time around.

I would pump when I would feel engorged, which was between every feeding. Lucky me, I was making MORE than enough milk!  But I learned (from this group) to only pump enough to relieve the discomfort. Otherwise, if you are a SAHM, you really shouldn't need to pump.

Food...it's my 2nd love (after my kids) LOL but I am not an expert. Just eat healthy and take your prenatals!

norahsmommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I would wait a couple of weeks to pump. You can wait until he is finished with one side to switch to the other.  My babies all just wanted 1 side per feeding.  They get more of the fatty hindmilk that way.  Some foods can cause reactions in sensitive kids, like eating too much dairy.  Mine always got grouchy, gassy and had rashes when I drank too much milk.  Some babies don't like the change in the taste of your milk if you eat a ton of onion or garlic but alot dont care.  You want to limit alcohol and caffeine and artificial sweeteners.

karina400
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Good for you for breastfeeding. If you do it for long enough, you will find that your baby will be healthier all his life and also smarter than he would have been if you quit.

lifetimelove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Quoting Mom2girls0708:

I have a 1 week old little boy and have been breastfeeding him since day one. 

Congrats!

I do not know much about breastfeeding but he is back to his birth weight so I know he is getting something out of it. 

That's great!  Takes many babies 2-3 weeks to get back to birth weight!

I was just wondering what all do I need to know about breastfeeding...  He has a good latch on him and he stinkies after each feeding (not much stinky but a little squirt)  It also is a seedy looking. 

Normal!

He eats from every 2 hrs to 4 hrs. 

That's actually a pretty long stretch for a newborn - be prepared for those times to shorten up a LOT during growth spurts!

I also feed on demand b/c I am trying to get him to gain more weight since he is 7lbs and 3 ounces. 

You should feed on demand regardless of weight - very important to a healthy breastfeeding baby during the first year.

So any advice on breast feeding and what to eat and not to eat, any advice would be appreciated.  I am wanting to do this for a little while and actually have enjoyed breast feeding.  My husband has also been very supportive of it and it is really helping me lose my baby weight.  He is my last baby and I really wanted to give breastfeeding a good try.

Sounds like you're doing a great job, keep it up.  Having a supportive husband is a very valuable tool.

You don't have to.  Nurse baby until he stops.  Burp.  Offer the second breast.  If he takes it, fine, if he doesn't, fine too.  If baby falls asleep while nursing, then I usually just lay them down and don't worry about the burp and switch part.  =)

Not unless he wants to.

Personally, I don't pump.  If you're not going back to work or school, there's no NEED to pump unless you want to pump a few ounces for a bottle once baby gets old enough to leave with a babysitter while you go out (or daddy or whatever).  I don't usually do this until after supply is well established, after 6 weeks or so.  I don't keep a stash of milk pumped, because it will just go to waste.  I just pump as needed.  If you're going back to work/school, then I would start pumping now, once a day while you nurse (first thing in the morning is usually best).

Healthy foods or good.  Junk foods are bad.  =)  Otherwise, baby will tell you what bothers him.  Each baby is different, some tolerate everything, some are sensitive to lots of things.  I can't tell you because it will depend on you.  IME, if you ate something during pregnancy, they probably won't have a problem with it now, unless there's an allergy.  I'd limit the caffeine and junk food, but I'd limit those anyways.  ;)

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

eema.gray
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Some babies like to stick with one side per feeding.  Other babies like to use both at each feeding.  Assuming supply isn't an issue, follow baby's lead for when to switch.

See above answer.  Watch your baby and follow baby's lead.  There are ladies who exclusively nurse for a year or more from just one breast.

Do you NEED to pump (i.e. going back to work)?  If you don't need to, don't.  Pumping is a pain in the butt and it can contribute to oversupply issues.

There are no "good" or "bad" foods.  Eat a healthy varried diet.  If baby does seem to react to something, keep in mind it is NOT what you most recently ate.  What you eat takes four to six hours for foods to reach your milk.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

It sounds to me like you are doing very very well off of instinct alone! That's wonderful, the less you worry the less overwhelming breastfeeding is. No need to overcomplicate. =)

Quoting Mom2girls0708:

I have a 1 week old little boy and have been breastfeeding him since day one.  I do not know much about breastfeeding but he is back to his birth weight so I know he is getting something out of it.  I was just wondering what all do I need to know about breastfeeding...  He has a good latch on him and he stinkies after each feeding (not much stinky but a little squirt)  It also is a seedy looking.  He eats from every 2 hrs to 4 hrs.  I also feed on demand b/c I am trying to get him to gain more weight since he is 7lbs and 3 ounces.  So any advice on breast feeding and what to eat and not to eat, any advice would be appreciated.  I am wanting to do this for a little while and actually have enjoyed breast feeding.  My husband has also been very supportive of it and it is really helping me lose my baby weight.  He is my last baby and I really wanted to give breastfeeding a good try.

How do I know when to switch boobs? Baby will fall asleep and stop actively suckling or come off on their own. You can try to burp then offer the other side.

Should he eat from both breast at one feeding? If he wants to he will, if he doesn't he won't and both are perfect! Just feed him until he is not actively suckling or comes off on his own and then you can offer the other side.

When should I try pumping some? I would wait until around 4-6 weeks unless you have a need to do it before then. If you are just pumping to have a small emergency stash or for occasion trips out without baby then I would say pump every once in a while while you are nursing first feeding of the day. If you are planning to return to work I would suggest coming up with a good pumping schedule that works well for you and sticking to it. You can start now but you want to at least start 2 weeks before you return to work.

What foods are good and bad to eat? Eat whatever you want and don't worry about it unless it affects your baby. Simple as that. You eating a poor diet will only affect you, your milk will always be the perfect nutrition for your baby! =D

star33
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM

i usually feed til mine falls asleep.then if she wakes up n seems hungry i offer the other side.mine doesn't eat from both.i wouldn't pump unless ur going back to work or something.protein and oatmeal is good.as for bad that's a very individual thing.some babies don't like dairy,caffeine,onions.there's more i'm sure someone else will post.

LKRA
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM

When he's finished. :)

He CAN, but he doesn't have to. Nurse on one side until he's finished (do not watch the clock, do not time the feedings), burp, then offer the other side. If he doesn't want to nurse from the other side, nurse from that breast at the next feeding.

Unless you're going back to work, you don't have to pump. You'll get the most, though, if you pump first thing in the morning or while baby is nursing.

You can eat anything you want as long as baby does not react to it. If you wolf down a plate of spaghetti (or a hot n spicy burrito like I did lol), and baby screams for five hours, then try to avoid garlic. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)