Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first time feeder questions

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

I really didn't BF my son - I pumped for about 3 months because he wouldn't latch properly and I had zero support with BF.  Anyway, my DD is 9 days old and nursing like a lil champ but I have a few questions.

When she first latches on I want to scream in pain.  Is she latching wrong?  The nurse told me it was from her sucking the nipple to the back of her mouth... but holy hell, it hurts! Once she gets going it's fine and doesn't hurt, but is there a way to get rid of that pain?

I've been wearing a bra 24/7 because any time fabric touches my nipples I feel like they're going to burst into flames and fall off.  Will this feeling go away?  I don't normally wear bras to bed and it's really uncomfortable.

DD is nursing about every 90min currently... how long before the time between starts to extend?  I'm feeling like a prisoner to my living room.  I don't feel confident enough yet to try to go grocery shopping or whatever with her and DS because I'm afraid I'll have a cart full of stuff and she'll start wailing from hunger and I'll freak. 

Thanks ladies!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lifetimelove
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Quoting NordicAngel:

I really didn't BF my son - I pumped for about 3 months because he wouldn't latch properly and I had zero support with BF.  Anyway, my DD is 9 days old and nursing like a lil champ but I have a few questions.

When she first latches on I want to scream in pain.  Is she latching wrong?  The nurse told me it was from her sucking the nipple to the back of her mouth... but holy hell, it hurts! Once she gets going it's fine and doesn't hurt, but is there a way to get rid of that pain?

It will go away within the next week or so.  =)  To speed up the process, use lanolin liberally.  ;)

I've been wearing a bra 24/7 because any time fabric touches my nipples I feel like they're going to burst into flames and fall off.  Will this feeling go away?  I don't normally wear bras to bed and it's really uncomfortable.

Yes, it will.  Mine were super-sensitive the first few weeks, but then once they got used to the whole breastfeeding thing it went away.  Again, the lanolin should help.

DD is nursing about every 90min currently... how long before the time between starts to extend?  I'm feeling like a prisoner to my living room.  I don't feel confident enough yet to try to go grocery shopping or whatever with her and DS because I'm afraid I'll have a cart full of stuff and she'll start wailing from hunger and I'll freak. 

Each baby is different, typically they're like this the first 6 weeks, give or take.  Then they start stretching out a bit more (or at least, they're easier to entertain to stretch the time out if you need to).  I would get a sling or a moby and practice wearing the baby and nursing at the same time.  This has been very valuable for my grocery shopping abilities in the first few weeks!

Thanks ladies!

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Brandi1219
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM
What she said ^^^^^^ it gets easier i promise. I almost gave up too. you just gotta stick it out. Good luck momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhampshire63
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Definetely what your first reply said. I felt all the same exact things you do now. Just keep it up. It does get a WHOLE lot easier and pain-free. Trust me. I used to cry. My ds was attached to my nipples 24/7 for weeks. And my nipples were also so sore, even bleeding at one point. One suggestion I do have is you should definetely wear a bra. As long as you're nursing, wear one. I used the nursing pads and Lanolin cream and always wear a bra. Try this, you'll probably feel so much better. Good luck, and Great Job!

HRCOmomof3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Another thing to try is hydrogel pads if you can find them in your area.  Medela makes some now, so they are easier to come by.  You wouldn't use lanolin at the same time, so it is nice to switch back and forth a bit.  You can also put them in the fridge to cool them down and that usually feels good.  It IS normal, though and it WILL go away.  If you are still in a lot of pain after about 2 weeks, I would try to find a Lactation Consultant in your area.

Good Luck!  :-)

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I agree here but want to add a couple things. Have you and baby checked for thrush. Thrush can cause the burning sensation. When you position her to nurse make sure she is completely facing you and line up her nose to your nipple not her mouth. When they come on this way the tip their head back and the chin meets the breast first pulling it down a bit and helping get more breast tissue into the mouth. This will likely eliminate that initial pain.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Quoting NordicAngel:

It will go away within the next week or so.  =)  To speed up the process, use lanolin liberally.  ;)

Yes, it will.  Mine were super-sensitive the first few weeks, but then once they got used to the whole breastfeeding thing it went away.  Again, the lanolin should help.

Each baby is different, typically they're like this the first 6 weeks, give or take.  Then they start stretching out a bit more (or at least, they're easier to entertain to stretch the time out if you need to).  I would get a sling or a moby and practice wearing the baby and nursing at the same time.  This has been very valuable for my grocery shopping abilities in the first few weeks!

Thanks ladies!

SavanaF.
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I'm at 5 weeks and still wear a bra to bed but the latching has gotten easier and she is eating less often now, but I had those same concerns at 9 days, just hang in there momma :)

star33
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM

oh yes,the beginning.i don't think there is a comparable pain.use lansinoh.keep working on her latch.get her to open big & flick the nipple in.aim it towards the roof of her mouth.u want her lips to look like a fish.puckered.

she will start eating in less time.i would try a lightweight bra.i got one at motherhod maternity for around the house.

STACIEH
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM
What the pp's said. Oh and th titl of your post made me laugh. I don't know why but I kept thinking of a bird feeder...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)