Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me please! I've tried everything!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM
  • 27 Replies

Grrr.  I have a baby boy that is almost three months old.  At first he would take a bottle just fine and then one day (when he was about 5 weeks old)  he just quit taking a bottle.  I've tried everything to get him to take one except for one thing that like three or four people have told me to do.  They told me not to nurse him until he takes a bottle but I don't want to starve him!!!!!  Does anyone know of any tricks to get him to take a bottle?  What is your opinion on not nursing him until he takes a bottle?  Help me please!  I feel so tied down!!!!!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmiller83
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM
Is there a reason YOU are giving him a bottle??? He wants his mommy not a bottle(obviously) and when you are there he wants to nurse. Someone else will probably be able to give it to him..

As far as not nursing until he takes it...I would have a really hard time doing that but he won't starve himself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylittleboy2010
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I really need to get a job so that I can support him. If he's not taking a bottle then it's kinda hard to do that.  lol. 

jenniferlee_12
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I agree. There are bottles that look like the breast that you can try (can't remember the name)

Quoting cmiller83:

Is there a reason YOU are giving him a bottle??? He wants his mommy not a bottle(obviously) and when you are there he wants to nurse. Someone else will probably be able to give it to him..

As far as not nursing until he takes it...I would have a really hard time doing that but he won't starve himself

LEAD MOD

Amy614
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I agree with the previous poster... If there is not a reason that you are offering a bottle when you are around, it might be better to just nurse him.  I am the infant teacher at a child care center, and I had a LO who would sometimes take a bottle and sometimes not, and she eventually got to the point where she would only take a bottle for one or two people.  But mom told us not to worry about it too much because she would BF like a champ at home.  If you are giving him a bottle to prep him for child care, I would suggest just letting them handle it.  That way, he won't get so confused.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM

When someone else is giving the bottle and you are not around, it can be different.  Also, some babies reverse cycle and just wait for mommy to get home and make up for it when they are together.  If some babies can go that long without milk at night because they are sleeping, others can go that long while mommy is away.

Amy614
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Quoting mylittleboy2010:

I really need to get a job so that I can support him. If he's not taking a bottle then it's kinda hard to do that.  lol. 

Don't worry about him not taking a bottle for you...  The LO I mentioned in my previous reply wouldn't take a bottle from mom at all, and it was hit or miss from dad, especialy if mom was around.  But she got to where she would take a bottle well enough for us so that she would use most of what was brought in for us to use, and wouldn't be too hungry when she got home.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Also, there are other ways to feed besides a bottle.  You can offer a sippy with the valve removed or a medicine syringe/dropper.

Amy614
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM

But if he is going to day care, it might not be possible for them to use a sippy or syringe without a doc note...  I know in MN where I work, we have to have the bottles prepared and brought in so that we can warm and serve them without opening or pouring the milk.

_elle_vee_
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Have you tried having someone else give him a bottle while you are OUT of the house completely? If you're in the house and he knows it, he probably won't take a bottle. Good luck hun.

As far as having the daycare just deal with it...I have been a childcare provider for over 10 years. This is not the way to handle things. I had a baby who once literally would not take a bottle all day long. She screamed and screamed and screamed until she could barely breath and after a week of this, her mom began to come up every 3-4 hrs to nurse her. That's not the way to solve things, sorry. I would only leave it to the daycare provider if you're 100% positive that he will take a bottle for them. I dunno about you but I could not handle the idea of my son screaming at daycare all day.

Photobucket

Proud SAHM to Joey (3.5) and Riley (11 mos) & TTC our #3, Silas or Maya. Navy wife to my kind, loving, wonderful husband Joe.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM

You have gotten really great advice and I agree with alot of it. You can offer a sippy cup instead. I would definitely not recommend holding out and not nursing until he takes a bottle unless you plan on weaning or pumping for the rest of the time you plan to breastfeed. Have someone else offer when you are not at home. You can try warming the nipple of the bottle with water before offering it, using a wide base slow flow nipple, offering cool breast milk instead of warm. If you want to go out for a little while then do it! Your baby will not starve himself, leave the milk and he will take it(though he may not be happy about it) if he is hungry. Nurse just before you leave and right when you get back. If you are only going out for a few hours then it's not going to be a problem if he holds out for mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)