• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about BF

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son was born yesterday and so far he only wants to nurse every 6 hours.  He will latch on really well and nurse for about 30-45 minutes total.  He's only lost 5% of his birth weight, so I'm not too conerned.  However, with my first son the nurses told me that waiting any longer than 4 hours isn't good.  I am trying to feed him every 2 hours, but he isn't interested.  He will eat for maybe 5 minutes those times...but as soon as it is around 6 hours from his last good feeding, he wants another good feeding. 

I know all the guidelines are silly, I mean women didn't have clocks for the thousands or millions of years(whichever you believe) that they have been doing this.  I know babies don't starve themselves unless they are sick, and he is very healthy so far.  I just think that 6 hours in between feedings is a little long, but he just isn't interested if I try to make him take it more frequently.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Watch the diapers.  He needs one per day of life (every 24 hours) until day 6 and 6-8 after that.  Content does not matter and a really wet one counts as two.  If you change two diapers on day two, you are doing good.  Since you are trying to offer more and he won't take it, I wouldn't worry.  Babies know exactly what they need.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Just keep offering and doing what you're doing. You will notice an increase in the frequency of nursing soon. Is he jaundice at all? Jaundice babies tend to be sleepy babies. Did you get any medication during delivery? This can also make them sleepy. If you are concerned see an LC.

mama02040608
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM
But you are nursing more frequently, he may "snack" during those other times and get a really good feeding the times he feeds every 6. I agree, count diapers and keep encouraging him to nurse frequently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hill_star03
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Thank you all.

He is starting to nurse every 3-4 hours now and he had 2 light wet dipes yesterday and 2 good messy ones...and 1 so far today already, but it was a really good wet one, so apparently he is getting something in there. 

I was just worrying for nothing :)  Thanks for the replies

Christina807
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM

The only thing I would about is if he's jaundiced.  My daughter was jaundiced and we did phototherapy at home, but she was sleepy ALL the time and would often only eat for 5 or 10 minutes.  I had to do all kinds of things to get her to eat that first week.  When she had the jaundice I would nurse every 2 hours at night and every 1.5 hours during the day.  Once she was over the jaundice (about a week later) she did much better and then I nursed on demand.  About every 2-3 hours

styler7
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM

While I was in the hospital after giving birth, I had this same issue and I was given completely different advice from the lactation consultant, the nurse, AND the midwife on how to go about breastfeeding. I agree, just check the wet diapers. The baby will nurse when ready, and he will for sure let you know when he's hungry! He's just a tired little guy, birth takes alot..lol.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Watch diapers for 1 diaper a day per day of age til 6 days old..at a week old its 6-8 diapers a day.  Keep offering every 2 hours because with milk NOT being in your LO needs to eat often and Jaundice an make a baby not want to eat, jaundice will be flushed from system by nursing often so even the 5 min feedings count.

Gecko85
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I listened to the ladies on here insted of my nurses (who wanted me to nurse ever two hours) and my baby regained her birthweight and then some in just 6 days. Nurse on demand. Check dipes.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM

You had more than enough diapers yesterday, so he's getting PLENTY of milk!  It's great that he has started to nurse more frequently.  My youngest was like that the first day too.  He did most of his nursing while asleep the first two days.

Quoting hill_star03:

Thank you all.

He is starting to nurse every 3-4 hours now and he had 2 light wet dipes yesterday and 2 good messy ones...and 1 so far today already, but it was a really good wet one, so apparently he is getting something in there. 

I was just worrying for nothing :)  Thanks for the replies

Gruntlings
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Breathe deep. *hug* My son wouldn't latch on for more than a few minutes at a time for 3 days after he was born. Once my milk came in he became boob-obsessed. Some babies are just sleepy. 5% weight loss is normal. 10% is where they should start getting concerned, and if you've had IV fluids, some pediatricians will realize that the weight loss is water and poop in addition to actual weight loss, and won't recommend supplementing until a bit more is lost. 

As others have said, watch the diapers. One per day of life. So on day one he should have one wet, on day two he should have two wets, etc. As long as he's making enough wets to match day of life (until 6 wets per day or your milk comes in after which it's 6-8 wets/day), and as long as he's passing his meconium, he's getting exactly what he should get, and is doing fine.  

6 hours is a bit long, see if you can encourage him to latch on a bit more frequently, even if it is for short amounts of time. Hold him skin to skin as much as possible, and let him latch on when he feels like latching on. 

Some babies just don't eat much in the beginning until your milk comes in. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)