Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

growth spurts?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

when do they usually occur? i heard 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months... do they usually get cranky when they happen? my son will be 6 weeks on monday and he has been eating a lot today... he has been so cranky and i don't know if it's bc he is gassy, a growth spurt, or bc i had a smirnoff ice last night... i'm so worn out and I'm afraid that i am confusing his crankiness for hunger and in turnmaking him more cranky... ugh i wish babies had a manual :P

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Yes, crankyness CAN be a sign of a growth spurt.  In the first 2-3 months, the growth spurts are pretty constant.  In my experience, they were at one week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks 8 weeks/2 months, 12 weeks/3 months, 4 months and 6 months.  They spread out much more after that.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Growth spurts can occur at any time, kellymom has a great article here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

I wouldn't worry, just keep nursing on demand and try to get as much rest as you can!(I know...easier said than done.) Hang in there. =)

cheerbaby15_12
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM

thank you so much that website was great... now another question.... if he is crying and even nursing or holding him isn't working is it ok to let them cry? I feel like I'm killing him he has learned how to scream so it seems like he is in pain.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I would continue to try soothing techniques like skin to skin and the 5 s's from the happiest baby on the block. I wouldn't leave baby to cry alone, unless you feel like you may do something uncharacteristic of yourself that is.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM

When my ds is like that, he usually wants to nurse but in a different position.  He either wants me walking around with him up on my shoulder so he can bob himself down and latch on his own (yes, weird... he started it at 4 weeks!) or to nurse completely upright, tummy to tummy.  That may be due to his reflux, but give it a shot?

Quoting cheerbaby15_12:

thank you so much that website was great... now another question.... if he is crying and even nursing or holding him isn't working is it ok to let them cry? I feel like I'm killing him he has learned how to scream so it seems like he is in pain.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Definitely get the DVD or book Happiest Baby On The Block from your library. My DH & I just watched this, our son is 4 months old, and we wish we would have known about it previously. They tell you how to initiate the calming reflex in your baby when they are so called "colicky." I had the same problem with my son. It's so hard to figure out what to do when they just cry and cry.

cheerbaby15_12
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:16 AM

i will have to look for that thank you all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)