Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Control

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

What kind of birth control are you ladies using? And if are you having periods while on it?

I am having my second child in October, and with my first I nursed for a year with no period, but we also used the withdrawal method. We have since learned that if my husband even sneezes in my direction I get pregnant, so we are looking into our options...

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaKalila
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I don't.. .I practice NFP instead. After my first child I had no period for 15 months... so charting was interesting lol, but we managed just fine... My second is just 2 months old now and no period yet. Part of me is looking forward to its return since it does make charting easier, but.. trying to enjoy the break too lol.

eema.gray
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM

NFP + diaphragm.  I haven't had a period since March 2007.  :-D

vances_mom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM
I have a Paragard IUD. I've had it almost a year and so far I have no complaints.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaKalila
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Sorry this is me knitpicking here  but that would make it FAM.

NFP = charting w/ abstinance only during fertile periods. FAM = charting and allows for barrier methods and/or other forms of ABC.

Quoting eema.gray:

smallest_mc Photobucket Photobucket26 month Pictures, Images and Photosattachment parenting Pictures, Images and Photoswater birth blinkie Pictures, Images and PhotosNatural Birth Blinkies Pictures, Images and Photoslove my midwife Pictures, Images and Photosrearfacing blinkie Pictures, Images and Photoshypnobirth Pictures, Images and Photos
eema.gray
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

I guess i say NFP to make clear that i chart temperature as well as cervical position and cervical mucus.  We intend to abstain when I'm fertile but if it's just too much to resist, we've the diaphragm for back up.  We're mostly pretty good about abstaining though.

Quoting MamaKalila:

NFP = charting w/ abstinance only during fertile periods. FAM = charting and allows for barrier methods and/or other forms of ABC.

Quoting eema.gray:

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

MamaKalila
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM

FAM does temps too :-)  I actually have TCOYF and use the ovusoft software.. both are geared towards FAM but I use them for NFP. I know what you mean about it being hard though... We've slipped from NFP to FAM a few times in the past for the same reason... no diaphram, but the infamous withdrawl or condoms... We stopped that pretty good though because the last time we did it ended up in a big fight and after talking about it we know it contributed to it. Not having a cycle right now I know its gonna be tempting again though.

ETA - I do all 3 of those too... I just about have to as crazy as my cycles are lol. I have a little thing that looks like a lipstick tube and helps show ovulation w/ spit too, but I stopped using it because it doesn't work very well for me. Shows me being fertile like all month lol.

Quoting eema.gray:

I guess i say NFP to make clear that i chart temperature as well as cervical position and cervical mucus.  We intend to abstain when I'm fertile but if it's just too much to resist, we've the diaphragm for back up.  We're mostly pretty good about abstaining though.

Quoting MamaKalila:

Quoting eema.gray:

smallest_mc Photobucket Photobucket26 month Pictures, Images and Photosattachment parenting Pictures, Images and Photoswater birth blinkie Pictures, Images and PhotosNatural Birth Blinkies Pictures, Images and Photoslove my midwife Pictures, Images and Photosrearfacing blinkie Pictures, Images and Photoshypnobirth Pictures, Images and Photos
JEM86
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Thanks ladies, I was thinking of doing a diaphragm too....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)