Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ppd

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:20 AM
  • 4 Replies
so i seriously think i am going through this. i am almost 8 weeks pp. i have crazy mood swings and cry over just about everything. i feel so unhappy most of the time! my question is, who here has gone throuvh this? what did your doc give you for it? is it safe for baby while bfing? what kind of side effects did you have while on it? how did it make you feel? hubby works with a lot of drugs and has seen lots of side effects and things gone wrong. he is super afraid of me bfing while being on meds. he has also heard about zombie effects from depression meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:07 AM

The most important ting your doctor should be doing is evaluating you to see what woud work best for you as well as getting you into some counseling. That is the most important step for anyone with any type of depression. Most meds are perfectly safe while breastfeeding, and it really depends on the individual person as to whether there will be side effects or not. If you do experience any side effects, always report them to your doctor. In the meantime, increase your omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed oil or fish oil) and spend a lot of time skin to skin with your baby. Skin to skin has been shown to decrease PPD symptoms. Hnag in there Mama, I know how rough it can be. I had it with my first after I stopped nursing him.

mommyofwilliam
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:44 PM

BUMP!

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM

It's QUITE common. Zoloft is the med of choice. COMPLETELY safe. In fact, there are very few antidepressants that are NOT safe. Go get help and tell hubby to stop worrying.

katznkt
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I had ppd with my first. I never went on any medicine. I got wound pretty tight though. I finally went and talked to a counselor a once a week for a couple of weeks. That helped me. I just didn't want to do medication unless absolutely necessary. Because of BF and because I thought I might get dependent on it or something. *shrug* Talking got me over the worst of it. I had to get out every now and then to clear my head. And things just slowly got better. Can't really tell you when I was "cured" just that by a year I felt better and was happy in general. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)