Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need input on BF 6 month old

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm currently breast feeding my second child.  I BF the first until 18 months when she self-weaned due to the milk changing during my pregnancy.  Now don't get me wrong, I love breast feeding and have no plans to supplement with formula, but I feel like I'm the only mother who is still feeding as frequently as if she were a newborn.

My DD just turned 6 months and she still feeds about every 2 to 3 hours during the day and wakes up at least 2 if not 3 or 4 times during the night.  I just recently read through a handout from my pediatricians office and it says "most babies are sleeping through the night by 4 months" and to speak to the doc about ways to keep them awake during the day if they're not.  But my DD is awake a lot during the day.  She usually only has one 2 hour nap and maybe another 15 minute snooze and is very tired come 8pm, if we don't get her down by then, she's over-tired and has a screaming fit while we try to calm her for bed.  She's also very active, rolling and scooting everywhere.

I'm going to talk to the ped this week when we go for the 6 month check-up, but thought I'd ask you moms for some input from your experience.

Is it possible it's due to oversupply and not enough hindmilk?  I still have some days where at times I feel engorged.  Should I try block feeding to lower my supply a bit? (feeding from one side for a couple of sessions before switching to the other side).  Or is this natural for some breastfed babies?  I know my first DD didn't sleep through the night until almost a year, but she usually only woke up once around midnight (though I can't remember when she started that either).

thanks for the help.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM

You can try the block feeding I don't think it can hurt.  6 months is a big growth spurt as is 9 months so both of those time will be hard to cut back nursings needed at night.  BUT yu can try having hubby/daddy go in when baby wakes to feed at night and trying to calm without feeding.  As a warning many doctors will say CIO or give loads of solids, neither of which will really help and can make matters worse.

My older 2 were FF and woke up every 2-3 hours til 15 months, but my EBF slept 8 hoursby 8 weeks..my now 8 week old is doing about 6hours here and there, usually 4

luka_89
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM
My de is almost 8 mo and has always ate like that lol it can be a hassle sometimes but think of it this way he won't nurse forever someday he will sleep through the night :) my dd is almost 2 and still wakes up usually
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhampshire63
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM

My ds does the same thing still and he just turned 8 months old. Last night he woke up about 6 times throughout the night to nurse. It's driving me crazy. He doesn't nap during the day for longer then 20 mins, maybe twice. So I always say to myself, well maybe he'll sleep all night. But he still NEVER has. I'll give him a big bowl of cereal an hour before bed and he still will wake up to nurse. I'm starting to think it's just for comfort. During the day he sometimes will go 5 hours between nursing. I wish I could help but obviously I need the same advice you do.

LeanneC
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:44 PM

My 15 month old nurses at least every 2-3 hours (recently it's been much more often... teething!) and he's been waking at least 4 times a night as well (also teething!).  His brother was every 2 hours at LEAST at 6 months (and that was round the clock) and that lasted until 14 months.

It's very, very, very normal.  The expectations of "STTN by 4 months" or "eating every 5-6 hours" is what isn't normal.   It's based upon formula fed babies who are at higher risk for both sids and obesity... the trade off for lowering those risks is that they eat more frequently and sleep lighter.

So, you have a 100% normal baby.  Nothing broken, nothing needs fixing.  Ignore what other babies are doing and throw away any pamphlets given out at the peds office.  They're all full of generalizations that don't apply to your baby.

Christina807
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:18 PM

My daughter is 10 months and she still nurses about every 2 hours during the day.  She was only waking once at night, but lately she's been waking more often.  Teething or growth spurt I'm guessing.  I don't know how often my SIL nurses during the day, but her daughter just turned 1 and the last time we talked, two months ago, she was still waking a lot at night to nurse.  So you are not alone. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Only problem I see here is with the pediatrician's handout. It's a work of fiction. She's NORMAL!

ablackdolphin
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:20 AM

My 9 mo old is fed BM from bottles (I EP) and she still wakes 1-2 times a night (3-4 when teething).  At 6 months, she was still eating every 3-4 hrs about 4 oz on average (20 - 25 oz a day).

At 9 months, she now gets solids.  I give her 3 meals a day of veggies, fruit and/or cereal.  She eats a ton and still gets 25 - 30 oz of BM a day.....and she still doesn't sleep thru the night...in fact, I'm up now because I just gave her another bottle.

It really helped when I put her on an offical schedule once she started eating solids at 6 months.  It looks something like this:

7:00 - 7:30 wake

8:00 breakfast

10:00 bottle & 1/5 - 2 hrs nap

12:30 lunch

3:00 bottle and 1.5 hr nap

6:30 - 6pm dinner

7:30 bath and bottle

8pm bed

IMO, it just depends on the child as to if they sleep through the night or not.....I don't think food has as much to do with it as we think it does.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:04 AM
Johnathan was exactly the same at that age and STILL wakes to nurse at least once or twice most nights at 2 1/2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:13 AM

1000% agree.

Quoting gdiamante:

Only problem I see here is with the pediatrician's handout. It's a work of fiction. She's NORMAL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)