• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Were you can FFing mom before or do you suppliment now?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM
  • 65 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you FF before

Options:

Started BFing and switched to FFing

All formula from birth

EBF then supplimented after a certain point

BF but supplimented a few times

Always EBF

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 119

View Results

I know that many times moms have a hard time the first times BFing, I only BF my first 12 weeks and only 2 weeks excuively with my 2nd, then EFF at 5 weeks.  I was able to EBF my 3rd and now EBFing my 4th.

Sometimes the moms new to the group come here and feel intimindated or are afraid to share that the FF before, this is a post to help moms feel they can share their stories and why and how they became a BFing mom after FFing before.

when voting say what you have EVER done...I EBF now but voted BF and then swutched to FFing becuase I HAVE before..

SO if you have EVER FF how did you do it?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM

With my first, he wouldn't latch after being given a nuk & bottle in the NICU so I pumped for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm sorry to say that I gave it up because I was tired of being attached to that stupid thing every 3 hours. Not a good reason, but hey...live and learn.

Am EBF my second..5 weeks and going strong. I love it. :)

BrooklynnsMomy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM

i picked other cause both mine were different with brooklynn who is now 3 i didnt give it the fair chance it needed, soooo after 2 days i swtiched to formula, with colton i was bound and determined and he is now almost 5 months old nad we have done nothing but breastfeeding he wont even take a bottle:D

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

CDing, EBFing, NIP, NO COVER, BWing, APing, Non-CIO, Co-Sleeping, Vaccinating, Circumsizing, Local Grown Food Eating, Christian, Disabled Veterans wife to Robert and Mommy to Brooklynn and Colton

GO TEAM RED!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM

ETA red info

Sweet_Britt
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:35 PM

With both boys, they were preemie, so I pumped for them for several weeks. When they came home we had tons stored up, so they used that until we ran out and then we switched to formula.

I didnt really know it was possible to breastfeed a preemie and was SCARED as heck of him losing weight and having to go back.

With Logan, I stopped pumping before he came home. I had severe PPD and HATED that stupid machine. I felt so depressed everytime I pumped and would CRY and CRY! I hated that my supply was crappy compared to my first time (I did not have Cafemom at that time) and just hated all of it, and stopped pumping. 

They got breastmilk for at least 2 1/2 months and then went to formula. 

This one, I know SOOOOO SO much more thanks to Cafemom. I will pump (he will come at 32 weeks too), know how to keep my supply up, and then know how to work with getting him to nurse exclusively at some point. I also know its going to be a hard process. i expected it much easier with my boys.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Mandola21
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I only breastfed my 1st for a month, then I got a really bad infection and I was only 18 and didn't have all the knowledge about breastfeeding. My second I made it to around 6 months breast and supplementing he was a super hungry little man, still is and like before I had no clue of half the stuff I know now. This one is exclusively breast fed, she hasn't had any formula and I know 1o times more now and have had so much support to make that possible :o)

new_mom808
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

DS got 1 oz of formula on night #2 and night #3. I was exhaused, DS was SCREAMING, and the stupid nurse told me that 'sometimes colostrum just isnt enough for a 9lb baby"
Anyway my milk came in that next morning and we never used formula again.

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM

With my son, we breastfed for 8 weeks. Then, we switched to formula.

This one's 10 days, and so far she's EBF, and I intend to keep it that way as long as possible.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM

YAY for all the mommies that have struggled but are determined to try again...you CAN succeed in EBFing!!  YOu can do it!!

we rock

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Andrew was finger fed formula for some feedings in the hospital because I was so sick and couldn't even hold him.  I barely even remember what was going on.  I thought it was only one or two feedings, but Mark said it was much more.  I guess I was REALLY out of it.  He was EBF after that.  Johnathan got NO formula at all.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM

With dd, I cracked and bled for three months, and gave up and ff from almost four months on.  I was 18, and had no support.  My mom got me the playtex bottle system when she was born.  I'm surprised I made it that long. 

WIth ds1, he was ebf until after his airway surgery, when he left the hospital, they made me put him on formula in his feeding tube.  He was one then. 

With ds2, I ebf until he was 2.  He self weaned because I was pregnant and he kept getting mad there was no milk and it tasted weird what there was.  I was sad he quit...

with this ds, I am ebf and don't plan on having more.  So, he'll wean himself when he's ready. 

I felt ok about formula feeding dd, because I made it way longer than I thought I would.  The bleeding and pain was horrible, and I had no idea how to fix it.  I had no support.  Even at the hospital they said I was doing it right!  The lactation consultant was not very helpful there.  I am sad I ff her, but she's ok.  And I learned to educate myself and get help after that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)