Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GAS ISSUES~Breast frustration

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM
  • 3 Replies

So for about 2 weeks now my LO is soooo frustrated at the breast!  Its weird he nurses like maybe 5 mins on each side...except during the night time hours.

He use to have BM's like 3-4 times a day...then about a month ago they went down to 1 time a day and then in the past week-10days he has only had 1-2 very small BM's and is having SERIOUS gas! Like all day long, loud and constant and SMELLY!

He is 4 months and in the beginning he was a gassy baby I gave him gripe water cause he seemed in pain like he was pushing....the gas he is having now doesn't seem to be bothering him..it's coming out just fine!

Now I have read BF babies don't poop that often but he always use to and I don't know if it has to do with him not nursing long enough to get the hind milk?

BUT he does get a few bottles a week when i am at work so technically he gets the hind milk in there.....

So confused! BF has always been easy and great for us and now he fights me and cries and doesn't stay on.....BUT he is getting PLENTY of wet dipers so at least I know he is getting milk!

And when we went to the PED the other day for his 4 month check up the doc did say he is long and lean (13 pounds) but that it is totally normal and to continue to EBF with no solids.

Anyways sorry i am rambling just trying to get all the info out there and hear what all you wise wonderful ladies think is happening!

Thanks so much! =)

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Poops back off between 3-4 months.  Gas can be from many things..tummy time helps with that.

Kinda sounds like you may have an overactive letdown..have you looked into that?

preacherskid
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Do you have overactive letdown?  Is his poop green?  Have you tried eliminating foods to see if one of them could be a problem?

You can pump his legs to help him with the gas, we also used the little tummies gas relief drops when my daughter had it really badly.  A gentle tummy rub, tummy time, and a warm bath can also help.

Joylynn77
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM

It could be something you're eating. Foods that cause gas in you can transfer through to him in the bm (ie., cows milk, broccoli...etc). Sometimes allergies can develope over time. Try changing up your diet and see if that helps?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)