Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 day old...is it too late?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have a four day old and I started out formula feeding in the hospital...now with much regret I would like to try breastfeeding some if not all. I would also like to pump.

Is it too late to breastfeed, how do I start?? any help or suggestions are appreciated.

http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://lmtm.lilypie.com/E5FIm4.png

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Just start breastfeeding her! It is not too late, especially since she's only 4 days. Your milk doesn't really come until until day 3 or 4, so just start doing it! Nurse her as much as she wants, whenever she wants, so you can build up your supply. Good luck!

metermaid
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM

It's not too late at all!  DS was in the NICU, and I couldn't BF him until his 5th day.  I was pumping, but he used a bottle up until the 5th day. 

I'm sure some other mommas on here can give you full info or links on how to transition, but I know if women who adopt can bf their babies, then you certainly can.  For sure, start bf your LO right now, to stimulate your milk supply.

Good luck--I found bf to be one of the happiest experiences of my life!

RozyMama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I am very confident you will be able to breastfeed if you want!   I would make a complete switch, no bottle or formula at all so that you can keep and maintain your milk supply, so she will form an effetive and consistent latch,  and so your baby will not learn to prefer the "easy flow" of a bottle nipple.  Later, once breastfeeding is well established, you could re-introduce a bottle and pumped milk if you need to for work, etc. 

The ladies on here probably have more specific advice about how to get her to breast at this point but IMO 4 days old is absolutely not too late! You might need help from an IBCLC. 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM

If adoptive mothers can breastfeed, you can too!  It is never too late unless you don't have breasts.  You need to start getting the baby to latch on.  She will most likely be upset because she is used to the fast flow of the bottles and it is much harder to get the milk from the breasts.  It does NOT mean that there is no milk.  She is just frustrated and unhappy.  The fussing is good for your supply.  It tells your body to make more milk.  Try latching her at the very first signs of hunger.  If she is crying, it is too late and she will probably fight it more.  You can give her a little formula from a syringe so she's not so hungry and try latching.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Once you get her to the breast, count diapers.  That is the only way to know if she's getting enough milk.  She should have one diaper per day of life until 6 days and 6-8 after that.  Diaper content does not matter and a really wet one counts as two.  So, on day four, you need at least four diaper changes.

Jena003
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM

BUMP!

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I would think you could... My milk never came in before day 3 with either of my kids.. I did put them on the breast for every meal but they really weren't getting anything until day 3...

I would say just start putting her on there.. You surely still have milk, it takes weeks to dry up!! Def use her on the breast first though, even if you decide to pump later, a baby sucking is much more effective than a pump..

Good Luck

Erica

Mommy8271120
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM

You can go see a lactation consultant at the hospital or health clinic to help you learn how to get a good latch. Just start giving it to her, good luck!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Put baby to the breast, best thing you can do, you still have milk most likely a full supply at 4 days, put baby tot he breast and see how she does.  Theres info on latching one www.kellymom.com, tons of info on getting baby back to the breast.  YOu can do this, its only too late if you have your breasts removed!

If you have a pump pump every 2 hours while awake for stimulation.  The sooner you do without bottles the better so if baby will latch and suck, nurse baby and count diapers.  They will be less wet/messy than formula diapers but you need 1 per day of age so today would be 4 tomorrow would be 5 on day 7 you need 6-8 wet or messy diapers total..THATS how you know baby is getting enough.

As a warning, formula has stretched your LOs tummy, she may act as though she is starving because of this when you switch to BM, she is fine if diapers are fine...daily totals is what you wanna see.

WTG for wanting to get baby to the breast!!

Tabitha-Moderator of Breastfeeding moms, feel free to PM me
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM

OH and call the hospital and ask for the IBCLC(lactation consultant) go see the LC first thing in the morning if you can.  Til then keep trying and skin to skin is a BIG deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)