Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Pump Question.......need some help

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok so I am looking to get a good breast pump. And I know most bfing moms say that the Medela is the best. But I just can't justify spending $180~$400 on something that I won't be usingall the time. So I have checked out The first years miPump (also many others) and it has mixed reviews but most pumps seem to have mixed reviews and I'm really not sure what to buy. I just don't have all kinds of money to toss on a pump that is a piece of crap. So which pumps are any good but don't cost a arm and a leg for them.....

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I had the miPump (single) last year.  I used it very sporadically and it worked very well for me.  It is not good for regular use, but should be ok for occasional use.

LovemyAurora
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM
Try looking on eBay or craigslist for a good medela. That's where we found mine. You just have to buy the accessory kit to replace certain parts. Have you looked into renting one if they are still too expensive?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM
It depends on your use. If you are pumping for an occasional time out, then the avent or lansinoh manuals would be fine. They are under $50. If you are pumping for time away at work, then the investment is worth it. If you are planning in having another child, then you can use the pump the next time as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GinaMPollard
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I had success with a Medela manual and my friend loved her Avent manual pump.  I hope you find something that you like and that is inexpensive. 

massagegiftmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM

the pump can be used, the tubing needs to be new.  try a used one perhaps on craigslist or ask around? 

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM

If you don't need to use the pump often then why not get a good manual pump like the Avent Isis or anything by Medela or Ameda.

boysmomma260
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I rented a Medela from the hospital where my ds was born.  It cost around $35/month.  It was awesome but also came with the Medela manual pump and honestly it worked just as well and much more conveinent.  If not pumping much, then maybe a good brand manual pump would work.  Also, by the time I turned the pump back in, I could have bought the darn thing!!  lol 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Tigger, depands on your needs. One bottle every once in a while? Avent Isis, $50. PERFECT for you.

I would NOT go the miPump route. Our finding here has been far more negative than positive. No Gerber or Evenflo either. Playtex is as hit and miss as the miPump so I'd also avoid that.

If you will be working, an Ameda Purely Yours for $150 will work.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM

NOT working?  Avent Isis, Laansinoh manual

camsmom415
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM

If you will be using the pump daily, say if you are going back to work, I would suggest an

Evenflo Comfort Select Dual Performance Breast Pump - Evenflo  - Babies"R"Us

Evenflo Comfort Select Dual Performance Breast Pump. That's the one I used and I loved it. But you have to pay attention, if you pump a lot a each sitting then the milk can get into the motor. I didn't realize this until my motor burned up.... :( After that happened I used a

Playtex BPA Free Petite Double Electric Breast Pump - Playtex  - Babies"R"Us

Playtex BPA Free Petite Double Electric Breast Pump I hated this. I had to replace the tubing on it 3 times in 2 months. It's not expensive but for that reason alone, if I had started with this pump I would have thrown it away and gotten a medela. :) Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)