Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Odd idea

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm nursing DS who will be 3 in august, but he only nurses at bedtime, and I doubt he's getting much.  My friend gave me (upon my request) the rest of her domiperdone, as she no longer needs it, and I was going to take it and see if I produce more, maybe he will want to nurse more often.  Does anyone think this is NOT a good idea, and if so, why?  Just wondering, wanted to get some expert opinions on the matter.  I was hoping to pump for my friend, but her DD can't have gluten/casien, and she doesn't want me to restrict myself for her DD.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM

How old is her dd?

Krysta622
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Her DD is 9 months.  It's a long story.  She actually is in the small percentage of women who cannot produce enough.  She did EVERYTHING right, took everything recommended, SNS, pumping around the clock, but it took everything out of her, and she eventually decided to go completely to formula.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I am just not sure that your milk would be appropriate for her baby under the 1 year mark. Breast milk of moms nursing toddlers is different than breast milk of moms nursing infants. This is why milk banks won't let you donate milk if your child is over 1 year.

Krysta622
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Well, I wanted to pump for her, but we ruled that out due to the dietary restrictions.  I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try to up my supply for my almost 3 year old.

new_mom808
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Are you planning on taking the domiperdone for your DS or for your friends DD?
If it's for your DS, I guess my question is why? If he's happy with what he's getting, I would let it be. Taking something to increase supply while your DS is clearly weaning, seems like a recipe for ingorgement to me.
I dont really have any "expert" advice. Maybe I dont understand the situation.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Oh okay, that is up to you. I don't know that I would jump right to domperidone per se but I would start out with offering the breast more often and/or pumping on a schedule.

Quoting Krysta622:

Well, I wanted to pump for her, but we ruled that out due to the dietary restrictions.  I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try to up my supply for my almost 3 year old.

Krysta622
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I don't really know why.  I just figured, I have the oppurtunity, I actually paid for half of the pills for her, so she is giving them back to me now that she's not taking them.  It's like a, hey, I have the pills, would it be worth it to take them, situation.

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I think I would talk to a pharmacist or your doctor first and get the okay to take them. ETA: in case of drug interaction, etc.

Quoting Krysta622:

I don't really know why.  I just figured, I have the oppurtunity, I actually paid for half of the pills for her, so she is giving them back to me now that she's not taking them.  It's like a, hey, I have the pills, would it be worth it to take them, situation.

Krysta622
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I don't usually offer, but will not refuse if he requests.  I only offer at bedtime.  Once in a blue moon does he request other then bedtime.  Pump, I actually gave my PIS to her and (it was VERY old) it's broken now.  It's not a big deal to up supply, just wondering if anyone thinks it a BAD idea.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Oh okay, that is up to you. I don't know that I would jump right to domperidone per se but I would start out with offering the breast more often and/or pumping on a schedule.

Quoting Krysta622:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)