• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 month old refuses left breast?????

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 6 month old son is suddenly refusing to nurse from my left breast... it has always been the lower producer and I am worried if he refuses for long enough that it might dry up all together is this just a phase? what should I do? I would pump that side but I dont really get any milk out when I pump (1-2 oz total... 1/2oz  from the left side)

thanks in advance for any advice! I am just worried because I already struggle to keep my supply up and he barely wants to nurse lately. 

baby babies
I adore my boys!!!
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Well definitely pump for all missed feedings but I would have him checked for ear infection as well. Do you have any lumps or soreness on that side?

Try nursing him in the exact same position as you do on the other side by sliding him from that side to the side he refuses. Kellymom has some great tips here too: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

jenntysmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM

he is sick with a cough... we just saw the Dr. and he doesnt have an ear infection.. but could have something else bothering him! I will try the foot ball hold on that side so I can just slide him over.

no lumps or soreness... actually I dont even feel engorged in the morning anymore like I used to and my right breast will (this is after 11 hours) I am so worried theres nothing there and thats why he doesnt want it... but I will try the different position and see what happens thanks :)

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM

One of the girls I counsel had the same issue, they told her her daughter didn't have an ear infection she went back two days later and sure enough she had one. Doesn't necessarily call for antibiotics though, drops of breast milk in the ear every few hours will help if that is after all the issue I mean.

Quoting jenntysmom:

he is sick with a cough... we just saw the Dr. and he doesnt have an ear infection.. but could have something else bothering him! I will try the foot ball hold on that side so I can just slide him over.

no lumps or soreness... actually I dont even feel engorged in the morning anymore like I used to and my right breast will (this is after 11 hours) I am so worried theres nothing there and thats why he doesnt want it... but I will try the different position and see what happens thanks :)

Daynaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Also, don't worry about not having anything in there. Even if there was nothing on that side you can still nurse on one side without any problems for baby. I have twins, they only ever got/get side. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)