• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vitamin supplements- advice plz

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

Do you mamas give your BF babies additional vitamins in addition to the prenatal vitamins that you take daily?  our pediatrician recommended it but I feel like it's going to be too much for my DD.  So I haven't filled her vitamin prescription. 

Jeremiah Luis (12/2/07)   Evelynne Arlene (2/16/10)

Married to my best friend since 7/22/06

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM
i nevr did. its not necessary. i trust my milk has everything they need. i read a good article on that from mothering magazine before....also saying vitamins are not necessary and actually counteract with bm. if i find it any articles ill give u a link
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:49 PM
I never did, 4 breastfed babies. Wait, I take that back; I *tried* the polyvisol whatever with my first for a few days. And then I tasted it myself! And I never gave it again. Or any other baby despite the pediatrician's advice. Really? Breastmilk is so deficient that we need scientists to step in?! Maybe little babies don't need those vitamin doses yet. I have been taking my prenatal for nearly 10 years, during which I've been pregnant and breastfeeding 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM
I never did, 4 breastfed babies. Wait, I take that back; I *tried* the polyvisol whatever with my first for a few days. And then I tasted it myself! And I never gave it again. Or any other baby despite the pediatrician's advice. Really? Breastmilk is so deficient that we need scientists to step in?! Maybe little babies don't need those vitamin doses yet. I have been taking my prenatal for nearly 10 years, during which I've been pregnant and breastfeeding 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I never gave the vitamin drops...but I understand that the recommendations for Vit D have changed since my kids were infants...maybe just D supplements?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I would understand the suggestion if there was a blood test showing that there was a deficiency in something, but then I would find natural ways to supplement the specific vitamins and/or minerals.  The artificial stuff is not absorbed by the body very well and can hinder the body from absorbing the vitamins from the natural sources.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

I cou;dn't find teh article I wanted, but this one is good :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)