Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

rejecting breast milk in the bottle

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM
  • 5 Replies

Evelynne is 4 1/2 months old.  She has NEVER been good at taking a bottle.  She won't even suck on it!  I used to put defrosted breastmilk in there for her once a week when my mo m likes to take the kids for a few hours but she acted as if it was poison and wanted nothing to do with it.  However, last week I got the bright idea to try some formula in her bottle .  The only formula we have in the house is the samples from the hospital.  My mom said that not only did she hold the bottle herself, but she actually sucked on it and drank a full oz!  That is the most she has ever drank from a bottle. I am very proud of her!  And no, I am not one of those BF moms who thinks that formula is a bad thing.  I still nurse my daughter unless she is chilling at Grandma's house once a week =)

Do any of your babies only want to drink formula from a bottle, not breastmilk? 

Jeremiah Luis (12/2/07)   Evelynne Arlene (2/16/10)

Married to my best friend since 7/22/06

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
norahsmommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM

no, my kids wouldn't take a bottle regardless of what was in it. My mom tried the formula thing because baby wouldnt take breastmilk in the bottle and she desperatly wanted to feed her.  She got a little on her tounge and acted like it was poison.  I dont blame her. I tasted it and it was like creamy blood, you know that metalic taste blood has?  Eww.  I am generally against formula for bf babies but if you really are just doing it once a week it probably won't affect your supply. However the sudden change in the type of food might give you LO tummy trouble. 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Maybe the issue is the change in taste of the breastmilk after it has been frozen and thawed.  Have you tried giving your mom freshly pumped milk?

My oldest wouldn't ever take a bottle and my youngest had at most three in his first year, all with fresh breastmilk in them.

AlohaKim01
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM

It might not be the taste, but she's learned to use the bottle nipple.  If you switch back and forth, it takes a while for them to get the hang of both.  They call it nipple confusion.  Breastmilk is sweet and formula is, well, it tastes like it smells.  So I doubt it has to do with what was inside the bottle. Or she associates breastmilk with being close to you, and not a plastic bottle.  So she rejects it.  

My son refused a bottle, he hasn't had to take one since his second week of life, when I got the hang of nursing.  He spit up formula, and I never tried it again, we were having latching problems so I supplemented til he was 2 weeks.  But i'm a stay at home mom so I can do all the nursing.  I can see how rejecting a bottle could be tough on a mommy who has to leave sometimes.  

mama02040608
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:55 PM

2 of my kids didn't like thawed BM.  I have a lipase issue and it made the milk taste funny.  They had no issue with fresh milk, but never took much from a bottle, ever.

DragonRiderMD
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:59 PM

My daughter would never take anything in a bottle (or sippy).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)