Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 week old not getting enough to eat in a feeding??

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:13 PM
  • 5 Replies
My son Tucker is six weeks old and weighs about 13 pounds. He is a big boy. I am having trouble deciding what I need to do. He has been eating every 3-4 hours. Yesterday I pumped at about 5:00Pm 4oz. I tried to feed him around8:00 and he latched on for about 10 minutes then he stops and starts crying. He latched on again and not even a minute later he started crying again. This went on for about thirty minutes. I chaged breast and kept trying to get him to latch on but he wasn't having it. Finally the milk I had pumped I fed him with a bottle. He sucked it down. Afterwards (4oz.) he still seemed unsatisfied so I tried the breast again. He latched on and started again. So, I am frustrated, this went on till about 1:30AM. Then this morning he latched on and ate for about 15 minute and was fine. I need help. Do I feed him some formula? My milk doesn't seem to be enough. I don't think it is refilling good enough to satisfy my little piggy.
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommyjenn132
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:17 PM

No, there is no need to feed him any formula, or to suppliment with pumped milk. What you need to do is continue latching him until he seems satisfied. He is going through a growth spurt and is trying to increase your milk supply.  The more you latch him on, the more milk you will produce. He should go back to normal feeding patterns over the next weeks or so, and your milk will be up more, so he will have enough to eat. In the mean time, he may be a bit fussy, but that is normal for growth spurts, especially as he is trying to increase your supply.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:27 PM

>>Yesterday I pumped at about 5:00Pm 4oz. I tried to feed him around8:00 and he latched on for about 10 minutes then he stops and starts crying. He latched on again and not even a minute later he started crying again. <<

Growth spurt!  Keep re-latching. Crying is how he tells your body to make more milk. Latch him and it will.

This is the time when moms frequently doubt themselves. Just put him to breast and nurse him. No pumping, no bottles, fo formula, no timing, no anythng but nursing him for as long as he wants to nurse.

Growth spruts are frustrarting but they don't last forever.

minneapolismama
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:34 PM
my son did this around 6 weeks too! he would eat every hour in the evening until midnight! i felt frustrated but continued letting him eat and he stopped after a week or 2! dont worry, your doing the right thing :)
Ceresrose
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 5:04 PM
first off as pp stated there is no need for formula.  It does sound like a growth spurt. the big one is at 3- 6weeks. then again at 3-4mos, 6mos, and 9mos. 

During a growth spurt, breastfed babies nurse more often than usual (sometimes as often as every hour) and often act fussier than usual. 

Growth spurts usually last 2-3 days, but sometimes last a week or so.

Some nursing moms feel more hungry or thirsty when baby is going through a growth spurt. Listen to your body -- you may need to eat or drink more during the time that baby is nursing more often.

also the evening time is usually when most bf moms notice babies will clusterfeed or nurse more during the evening time. they may nurse for 30-45mins then want to nurse only 1-2hours later again. (this is normal, Don't let anyone tell you it's not)  so it may seem like he is not getting enough....but here is the important advice most Dr. and moms don't realize :

the more you NURSE, the  more MILK you make. so keep nursing in order to keep up your supply.  by supplimenting you will deminish your milk supply and then you really won't be making enough for baby. 

hope this helps some

TaraM
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 5:18 PM
All the other stuff that the girls said is great. In addition to that, maybe he is getting to hungry before you feed him. That can make him frustrated and anxious and cause problems latching on. Also, he may be frustrated that you are not letting down fast enough so express a few drops of milk before you latch him on.
The milk supply will increase as needed. The baby tells your body when you need to produce more and if you supplement at all, it will lessen your milk supply. Hand in there, it will work out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)