Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing and the litter box

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

How many of you EBFing moms change the litter box?  My OB told me not to chance it but my hubby is dying for a break.  I've been pregnant or bfing for 2 yrs straight! 

Kellymom says it's fairly safe if I use gloves and wash my hands well.  I was just wondering if anyone has heard differently?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collegegrad2008
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM

I would just wear some gloves, and wash my hands thouroughly afterward. I don't change it right now, but after he is out I will, shoot my cat is an indoor cat anyway.

MomNtheRes
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I've been doing the litterbox my entire pregnancy. You're more likely to get toxoplasmosis from eating undercooked meat than from a litterbox. So long as you aren't playing catch with the poo and then eating lunch you should be fine :)

Wife2003
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:23 AM
1. IF u want to do it it's pointless to JUST wear gloves. U should wear a mask as well. U get toxo from the spores kicked up in the air when the poop is moved.

But anyway, I was going to start changing the litter box after I had DS but we ended up getting rid of our cat due to the baby maybe having an allergy. I have never heard not to change it if we're nursing, only when preg. But it makes sense I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collegegrad2008
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM

the sarcasm was so necessary though...

Quoting Wife2003:

1. IF u want to do it it's pointless to JUST wear gloves. U should wear a mask as well. U get toxo from the spores kicked up in the air when the poop is moved.

But anyway, I was going to start changing the litter box after I had DS but we ended up getting rid of our cat due to the baby maybe having an allergy. I have never heard not to change it if we're nursing, only when preg. But it makes sense I guess.

CoastieWifePR
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:34 AM

is it because of the risk of toxoplasmosis?  Are your cats indoor or out doors?  Do they hunt critters or they exclusively eat cat food?  Do they "socialize" with stray cats or other animals outside of your home?

I ask because when I was pregnant my MIL suggested we should get rid of our cat because "I couldn't clean the litter box".  After talking to my midwife and reading about it, I realized I could still change the litter box and keep the cats since the risk for me is minimum.  My cats are strictly indoors, they don't hunt any critters, they eat only cat food and no outside animals here, plus they are as healthy as can be.  If that is your case I don't see why you shouldn't do it, just wash your hands really good with antibacterial soap when you finish, just like you would after you use the bathroom.

Wife2003
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:41 AM
Oh I wasn't being sarcastic, just emphasizing my point. It's important to know that toxoplasmosis is not spread by touching the poop. Sorry u took it that way and looking back I can see that it looked that way, my apologies :)

Quoting collegegrad2008:

Quoting Wife2003:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collegegrad2008
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:52 AM

got you

Quoting Wife2003:

Oh I wasn't being sarcastic, just emphasizing my point. It's important to know that toxoplasmosis is not spread by touching the poop. Sorry u took it that way and looking back I can see that it looked that way, my apologies :)

Quoting collegegrad2008:

Quoting Wife2003:

mombloggerJ
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM

1. If you have indoor cats, the risk of toxoplasmosis is really small in any case.  Cats get it from eating other living things, not cat food (it's a parasite).

2.  If you have a cat that's infected, YOU'VE probably already been infected if you've had the cat a long time and are therefore most likely immune.  

3.  ANYONE can get toxoplasmosis, pregnant moms are high risk b/c it can harm the baby in utero.  Nursing moms are at no higher risk than anyone else.  Your baby would only be at risk if you cleaned the litter pan and handled baby before washing hands.

4.  You're more at risk of getting the parasite from undercooked meat, contaminated fruits and vegetables, or putting your hands in your mouth after handling contaminated soil.

-Bottom line-you are free to clean the box as long as you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards (which I'm sure you already would do), and no need to worry too much b/c the big risk is when you're pregnant (or if you are immunocompromised).

Read more here: http://www.medicinenet.com/toxoplasmosis/article.htm

MomNtheRes
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Quoting Wife2003:

The spores take 24 hours to form after the poop is pooped(couldn't think of a better way to say that one...), so if you're scooping the box daily gloves are just fine, pregnant or no. 

And as another poster said- if your kitty is an indoor only kitty the risk is pretty much non-existent. My mother does animal rescue, her cats were exposed to toxo by another cat she brought in the house. 

Join us! An active group for Mom's who are, or have been through, a deployment to support one another so we can stay Deployment Strong!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/DeploymentStrong

come home               in love

AW-R
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I didn't change it while I was pregnant, but I did when I was nursing.  But, maybe I need to use this excuse on Dh with the second baby!  He'll never remember that I changed it while I was nursing.  I could get out of it for another year++ after this one is born.  Genius!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)