Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latching advice please

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM
  • 4 Replies

my l.o. is just over 3 months and we've just recently noticed something but are not sure how long it has been going on.when he latches onto my breast or drinks from a bottle you can always see his tongue.  it is like his bottom lip is involved in feeding in no way.  when it is quiet (which is rarely) i can hear him sucking in air, which is probably why he is always painfully gassy... when he is like that i remove him and try again but it does no good.  what can i do?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Unlatch and relatch him the right way. Over and over till he gets it right. He needs to be taught. Be aware that bottles can teach them incorrect latches...you can switch him to a soft spout sippy with the valve removed. Caregiver tips, baby sips.

RosaMae
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM

This may sound stupid but how exactly do i relatch him correctly?  When he first puts his mouth on, everything looks right, but once the sucking starts his tongue comes out. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:29 AM

When the tongue comes out, unlatch and start over. Yeah, it'll get old fast. Pull his chin down and push the nipple in...be a bit forceful with it so it's hard for him to do what he's been doing.

And the bottles have got to go, I'm afraid.

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Make sure that when latching your baby on, his mouth is open WIDE and that he is taking in enough of your areola with a good deep latch. Keep practicing until perfect!

breastfeeding.jpg breastfeeding image by evemarcelo 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)