Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too late?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:16 AM
  • 4 Replies

So, my baby is 8 months old right now. I have been trying to get him to nurse. He just will not latch on and on the rare occasion when he does he gets a look as if to say "What am I doing?" Then he pulls off and starts freaking out. So, to feed him I was pumping and giving it to him in a bottle. I have tried to stop all bottles and just offer him the breast before but then he didn't have enough wet diapers and he wasn't gaining weight. He's had weight issues from the beginning so we've had to be really careful. He was born weighing 11 pounds and dropped to 9 in the first week. So, I just kept pumping and feeding him my milk in a bottle. In the last month I seem to have kind of stopping responding to pumping. I am lucky if I get more than 2 ounces a day at this point. So now we are formula feeding (no recent weight issues- he's back in the 90th percentile). I am still producing milk (maybe not a lot but I know it's there). I have a manual pump and an electric pump. Should I just give up-stop pumping and stop trying to get him to nurse? I am so torn. I wonder if I should stop because he is getting older but part of me really wants to keep trying. What kills me is that sometimes he seems really interested. He'll put his mouth there and try to kind of nurse through my shirt. I try to get him to latch when he does that but then he just wants to play with my breast. I kind of feel like a bad mom sometimes because I wasn't successful this time around. My two older boys were both breastfed. I know this really doesn't make a bad mom but I certainly feel that way every once in a while.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Only too late when your breasts are removed. So now, up to you. But NOT too late by any means.

Mommy2Jolee
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:34 AM
Tell me again what part of this makes you a bad mom? All I thought while reading this is 'that is one very strong, dedicated, determined mother'. It takes alot breastfed when you're having troubles, I know because it hasn't been easy for me and I've breasted all 3 of my babies. Pumping is exhausting, I say kuddos to you for making it to 8 months. Good luck momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
THauge
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. It's just been a long fight so far, with so many roadblocks. I feel much better about it and will continue to keep trying.

Quoting gdiamante:

Only too late when your breasts are removed. So now, up to you. But NOT too late by any means.

THauge
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Thank you. I never really looked at it that way. I've decided to keep trying. He's as stubborn as I am but maybe one day he will just give in.

Quoting Mommy2Jolee:

Tell me again what part of this makes you a bad mom? All I thought while reading this is 'that is one very strong, dedicated, determined mother'. It takes alot breastfed when you're having troubles, I know because it hasn't been easy for me and I've breasted all 3 of my babies. Pumping is exhausting, I say kuddos to you for making it to 8 months. Good luck momma.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)