Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control while nursing?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM
  • 29 Replies

Im about to have a baby and really dont want another one for a while. Can you be on birth control while you nurse? Are there certain kinds that are good for the nursing mom?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Soldier
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM

i believe the only thing you can take is the mini pill. its just low dose birth control. thats what they gave me

ilovemylovey
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM
I took the mini pill with my first and I really think it lowered my milk supply. I know doctors say that it can't but for some people I think it can. Now with our second we use condoms and DH is always tryin to not even do that. I don't want another right now though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arisce
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Mini pill, depo(after 6 weeks pp), mirena, copper IUD, implannon. You basically want to avoid estrogen. 

USE CONDOMS.

Klynn-whitlow
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM

No or low dose hormones. I am on the Mirena, which is low dose, the copper IUD (don't remember its name right now) is hormone free. I really like my IUD, i don't have to remember to take/switch anything... or remember to refill a prescription (that's how i ended up off my BC last time... and then ended up pregnant sooner than we wanted). LOL. Plus its good for 5 years (or 10 for the other), but i can get it out whenever i want... at which point it should only take one cycle to be able to get pregnant again!

Klynn-whitlow
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:22 AM

We are against condoms in my house! LOL. My husband and i ended up pregnant the VERY FIRST time we ever used a condom... in H.S.! LOL.

Quoting Arisce:

Mini pill, depo(after 6 weeks pp), mirena, copper IUD, implannon. You basically want to avoid estrogen. 

USE CONDOMS.

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM
i have mirena, and am successfully still (yay!) nursing a 24 month old - who nurses several times a day/night.

i sort of wish i'd gotten the copper iud because mirena does contain hormones. and, if i were better at remembering things, i would have tried natural family planning.

that being said, mirena has worked well for me. i got it at 4 months pp. it was painful, for me, having it put in but not for most of the women i've talked to. it is extremely convenient. oh, and the first time i got something that even closely resembled a period was around a month ago. it was some light spotting for a few days. i went 32 month's without any bleeding!!

if you decide on an iud, don't get it until a few months after giving birth, if you can wait. my ob said that, even though they advertise you can get it at 6 weeks pp, there is a greater risk of malfunction or the iud falling out because the uterus isn't completely done shrinking.

hth!! best of luck to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arisce
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I'm not saying this to be mean or rude, but it was most likely user error. He has to have it on before he even comes near you(since guys seem to like to rub all over use women with no regard for the little spermies in their precum). It's NOT as big of a PITA as people think, imo. I'm not on any bc and my boyfriend and I just use condoms. I don't really find that it's ... "less mood enhancing" at all. (Sorry, before tea lol)

Quoting Klynn-whitlow:

We are against condoms in my house! LOL. My husband and i ended up pregnant the VERY FIRST time we ever used a condom... in H.S.! LOL.

Quoting Arisce:

USE CONDOMS.

Hisservent
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I thought about getting the copper iud when my daughter stops nursing....until my husband decides to go ahead with the vasectomy. I was on the mini pill Nor-QD (Camila...generic) 4 weeks after I had my son and never had a problem. I didn't get my period until after he stopped nursing at 9 months.  Once he stopped nursing, I went on Yasmin...regular BC.

I had my daugther 5 1/2 weeks ago and I have been on camila for a week now. So far, no problems with my supply. When she is weaned, I am thinking of going with the non hormonal iud.  When our daughter is 2, we will discuss if we want more children and if we decide against it, I would like hubs to have a vasectomy so I don't have to worry about backup or have any more surgeries. I've had 4 in my life so far and whether I have another child or just have my tubes ties, I'd still have at least one more because I will have to have another c-section. Either way, I will either have the copper iud in or hubs will get the snip snip if we aren't having any more.

Quoting Klynn-whitlow:

No or low dose hormones. I am on the Mirena, which is low dose, the copper IUD (don't remember its name right now) is hormone free. I really like my IUD, i don't have to remember to take/switch anything... or remember to refill a prescription (that's how i ended up off my BC last time... and then ended up pregnant sooner than we wanted). LOL. Plus its good for 5 years (or 10 for the other), but i can get it out whenever i want... at which point it should only take one cycle to be able to get pregnant again!

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord! I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, choir singin, recyclin, natural products usin, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin, soy milk drinkin, organic milk givin, coffee drinkin, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burnin, as Green as I can get,  WAHM of 2.

Hisservent
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I can't stand them. I can feel the rubbery friction as he goes in and out and we DO use lube. ALso the resivoir tip folds while he's moving and is soo annoying. We used a condom last week and I made him take it off in the middle of it because I could NOT get in the groove and it really irritated me.

Quoting Arisce:

I'm not saying this to be mean or rude, but it was most likely user error. He has to have it on before he even comes near you(since guys seem to like to rub all over use women with no regard for the little spermies in their precum). It's NOT as big of a PITA as people think, imo. I'm not on any bc and my boyfriend and I just use condoms. I don't really find that it's ... "less mood enhancing" at all. (Sorry, before tea lol)

Quoting Klynn-whitlow:

Quoting Arisce:

USE CONDOMS.

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord! I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, choir singin, recyclin, natural products usin, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin, soy milk drinkin, organic milk givin, coffee drinkin, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burnin, as Green as I can get,  WAHM of 2.

hm397
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I'm on the depo shot. I love it. I haven't had any problems with supply or anything related to it. Just talk to your care provider at your 6 week appointment. They will help you figure out what is best for you.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)