Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? about having a new baby and still nursing a toddler

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

My dd will be 20 months when the baby is born.  She is still nursing 3-4 times a day and i would like for her to make it until at least 2.  When the new baby is born will my milk turn back into colostrum?  One more question for those of you that have been through this, how did you older baby do when you was away at the hospital? Did you pump for them before hand? Did they just not nurse while you was gone?  Any help is much appreciated.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

My sonwas just turned 3 and had cut back to1 time a day by the time our baby was born, around 13 weeks my milk dried up around 18 weeks colostrum came in.  My son just skipped nursing while I was away and nursed wheb we got home.  I did nurse before heading to the L and D.  Pumping is pointless and can cause contractions while preggers.

Mom71307
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM

My daughter was about 27 months when my son was born and she nursed throughout pregnancy and is still nursing now.  She will be 3 tomorrow!  The friends who were watching her brought her to the hospital for some time each day and she nursed while she was there with my husband and brother and me.  Yes, your milk will go back to colostrum and sometimes, toddlers wean as a result of this (it happens between 12  and 24 weeks generally) but some do not.  You may also lose your milk almost completely in that time frame.  Some toddlers will dry nurse through this and some will wean.  My daughter still nurses between 3-4 times per day!

charismom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have been nursing my son throughout. He has cut way down on his feedings, but he's almost 3. I plan to breastfeed both children when the baby arrives, and imagine that my son's nursing will pick up quite a bit at that time. There's a great group here on Cafemom just on this topic if you would like to talk to more mommies who have done this. It's called Pregnant and Tandem Breastfeeders. Best of luck!

The_Purple
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM
I had my youngest when my toddler was 26 months (just a month ago). Your milk will most likely stop in the last weeks and then will turn into colostrum when baby is born. That didn't stop my ds from nursing at all. When my milk stopped in the last few weeks he really only nursed to fall asleep. I'm guessing it was mostly comfort for him at that point anyway. When he came to the hospital, he nursed. I didn't pump for him, he just waited until he saw me. It did make my milk come in very fast and a little strong for my newborn (he would get too much and kind of choke). He is a month old now and my older ds still nurses about once or twice a day, mostly when tired. He is not jealous of my newborn nursing although he was at first, wanting to nurse everytime I nursed the baby and very frequently. He is adjusting well although the terrible twos make him a little unpredictable. Good luck and congratulations!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM
Thank you ladies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)