Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slow gain became loss... now what? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM
  • 14 Replies

We had our weight check today.  He was 14 lbs, 9 oz, so a 5 oz gain in 8 days... no supplementing!  The nurse practitioner said she usually likes to see an ounce of gain a day, but I said, "he's fine.  I'm happy with that gain."  She couldn't believe that I hadn't supplemented!  We really did have thrush, even though we never showed any visible signs.  My nipples are no longer itchy and it doesn't feel like he's nursing with razor blades in his mouth.  So, treating that combined with living with him in the sling for the last week got us a good gain.  Thanks for all the help, Mamas! :) **happy dancing**

A week and a half ago, my 3 1/2 month old had gone from 13-8 to 14-5 in 5 1/2 weeks.  The first 2 of those we were still supplementing, then he was able to go without bottles and still be content, so I figured we were good.  Diaper count has always been above that minimum of 6 wets.  Today (11 days later), we went in to get checked for thrush/latch issues and his weight is now 14-4, same scale, same blue sheet, even close to same time of day, same time since last poop... I've been block-feeding as much as he'll tolerate (in the evening, he just screams if I try to relatch him on the same side... he wants the other one, to the point where he'll do 5-10 minutes on a side, switch for 5-10 minutes, and continue to switch back and forth like that through a feeding), taking fenugreek (3, 3 times a day), doing compressions and massage while he's nursing and seems to get tired out or slows down toward the end, and doing skin to skin and infant massage.  The nurse practitioner gave me a script for nystatin drops to use on my nipples, even though there's no visible evidence yet of thrush just in case it's brewing.  She also said to try offering a couple of ounces in the evening after he finishes his bounce back and forth feeding because I may just not have quite enough milk for him then... if he gobbles it up, we know he's hungry; if not, then it's something else (he's always been good about not overeating from a bottle and will refuse it if he's not hungry so that doesn't worry me).  We're doing another weight check in a week to see how he is and will work on more ways to boost my supply if the supplementing gets him to gain.  I'm planning to pump after he goes to bed on days he takes a bottle to get the extra stimulation (and maybe make a supplement bottle for the next day if I have enough?).  What do you think?  I'm kind of at a loss here...

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sienasmommy18
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Sounds like your doing all you can I've had the same problem but I found the more I pump esp after nursing I make more milk but it took me...,like a week to see improvement but it has improved and we are nursing alot more now and for longer periods hang in there your doing great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Were the weights on the SAME scale?  Same amount of clothes?

If diapers are fine baby is getting enough, it very well may be thrush causing an issue.  I would avoid Nystatin, get genetian violet and use THAT.  YOu paint your nips with it and nurse baby that way both are treated.

The bottle idea during cluster feeding is a BAD idea.  Babies can and will overeat from a bottle during growth spurts.  ALSO the back and forth and crazy nursing in the evening is becuase supply is lower at that time of day, its normal, but they get more early morning so its fine.  They NEED to nurse alot in the evenings to maintain supply..its neeeded.  Giving the bottle will cause flow preference which will mean that begin to refuse to latch and nurse for long in the evenings knowing that an easier faster bottle will be given.

Now the pumping here and there and using that to suppliment off and on is OK...I would use a syringe after a full nursing and give maybe 1/4 oz to see if it can help with weight gain.  Not a huge hurt in that.  AND don't give that to help him stop cluster feeding in the evenings.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Were the weights on the SAME scale?  Same amount of clothes? Yes, even same time of day, same amount of time since poop

If diapers are fine baby is getting enough, it very well may be thrush causing an issue.  I would avoid Nystatin, get genetian violet and use THAT.  YOu paint your nips with it and nurse baby that way both are treated.

The bottle idea during cluster feeding is a BAD idea.  Babies can and will overeat from a bottle during growth spurts.  ALSO the back and forth and crazy nursing in the evening is becuase supply is lower at that time of day, its normal, but they get more early morning so its fine.  They NEED to nurse alot in the evenings to maintain supply..its neeeded.  Giving the bottle will cause flow preference which will mean that begin to refuse to latch and nurse for long in the evenings knowing that an easier faster bottle will be given. He's had bottles since he was 4 days old and we had to supplement due to severe dehydration.  We've worked hard to get down off of supplement, but I'm wondering if maybe he/we/my milk supply wasn't ready yet?  I have a feeling that hasn't much, if anything, in the 5 weeks since we stopped supplementing.

Now the pumping here and there and using that to suppliment off and on is OK...I would use a syringe after a full nursing and give maybe 1/4 oz to see if it can help with weight gain.  Not a huge hurt in that.  AND don't give that to help him stop cluster feeding in the evenings. I'm not worried about the clustering at night... I'm worried about his weight gain.  I'll try pumping and see what I can get for him.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM

How is he doing as far as milestones? His being content matters not, the dipes are good and scales can lie...the milestones are really more important than anything right now.

I do think the bottles won't help your supply. If you're going to supplement, then try a supplemental nursing system for that instead.

Aside from that, your game plan is good.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Where do I get a SNS and how do I use it?

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Milestones are okay, I think.  He's still within norms, but seems to have stopped rolling over and stopped laughing (unless really prompted) which he was starting to do.  That's making me think that maybe he needs more calories.  He gets tuckered out during nursing sessions and ends up with a trembling jaw.... it's making me a bit uncomfortable with just leaving things as they are at the moment.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

Milestones are okay, I think.  He's still within norms, but seems to have stopped rolling over and stopped laughing (unless really prompted) which he was starting to do.  That's making me think that maybe he needs more calories.  He gets tuckered out during nursing sessions and ends up with a trembling jaw.... it's making me a bit uncomfortable with just leaving things as they are at the moment.

My son did the trembling jaw, its NOT a sign they are tired, its a form of nursing, it encourages letdown after the initial one.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

Where do I get a SNS and how do I use it?

YOU can buy one on amazon, from medela or from a medical supply store.  YOu can make a cheap on with a tube and syringe too.  Tape the tube to your nipple area and give a tiny bit of pumped BM or formula if you choose in the tube during nursings.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Okay, so I've been watching my baby not the scale today... and talking to my mom.  Here's what I've found/reminded myself:

-My sisters and I were ebf and had great gains our first 2 months.  Between 2 and 4 months each of us only gained 1 pound, which is about where Nathan is at this point.

-He has grown 1 1/2 inches longer in the last 3 weeks and his head became noticeably bigger over the weekend.

-He is doing a lot developmentally-wise that he wasn't 3-4 weeks ago: laughing aloud (he did it all afternoon, making me eat my words), talking up a storm with new sounds every day, reaching with precision and picking things up to study them, sitting very well with minimal support, getting very interested in everything--especially meals (he refuses to nurse at the table now, he just wants to watch us eat!), trying very hard to be mobile--sitting up from a recline to push himself forward onto his tummy and trying to inch his way over to his brother, having fun playing games like peekaboo

-We have had a rough 2 weeks with having company, my 2 year old being hospitalized unexpectedly, same said 2 year old having surgery a week after being discharged and still feeling crummy and cranky even today... perhaps the stress and lack of sleep could account for a bit lower supply (if there is a problem)

-When Nathan is full he generally pulls off awake and smiling and wants to play.  His dipe counts are always 6 or above and poop generally looks okay (mostly bright orange, sometimes brownish).

I'm thinking we don't have a problem and the scale may have been lying to us.  I'm not going to supplement yet.  I'll see how he looks at our weight check next week after continuing with our plan.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I think you are finding what is right for you and dfoing GREAT!!  Good job momma, just keep on trucking!  Try not to doubt yourself even if doctors do

Quoting K8wizzo:

Okay, so I've been watching my baby not the scale today... and talking to my mom.  Here's what I've found/reminded myself:

-My sisters and I were ebf and had great gains our first 2 months.  Between 2 and 4 months each of us only gained 1 pound, which is about where Nathan is at this point.

-He has grown 1 1/2 inches longer in the last 3 weeks and his head became noticeably bigger over the weekend.

-He is doing a lot developmentally-wise that he wasn't 3-4 weeks ago: laughing aloud (he did it all afternoon, making me eat my words), talking up a storm with new sounds every day, reaching with precision and picking things up to study them, sitting very well with minimal support, getting very interested in everything--especially meals (he refuses to nurse at the table now, he just wants to watch us eat!), trying very hard to be mobile--sitting up from a recline to push himself forward onto his tummy and trying to inch his way over to his brother, having fun playing games like peekaboo

-We have had a rough 2 weeks with having company, my 2 year old being hospitalized unexpectedly, same said 2 year old having surgery a week after being discharged and still feeling crummy and cranky even today... perhaps the stress and lack of sleep could account for a bit lower supply (if there is a problem)

-When Nathan is full he generally pulls off awake and smiling and wants to play.  His dipe counts are always 6 or above and poop generally looks okay (mostly bright orange, sometimes brownish).

I'm thinking we don't have a problem and the scale may have been lying to us.  I'm not going to supplement yet.  I'll see how he looks at our weight check next week after continuing with our plan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)