Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First post to this group :) And a quick question.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hey everyone.  I'm Amanda and I'm 23 living in south central Pennsylvania.  Currently I'm still baking my first child, a boy due August 30th.  I joined this group when I realized that I had a lot of questions about BFing.  I'm definately going to need advice. :)

I was doing some research and I saw that you shouldn't use underwire while BFing?  With the size of my breasts (I'm in a 40E right now) the only thing that supports them is underwire.  Yes, I'm using a nursing bra now (my breasts grew since I became preganat and I figured I would get used to them awhile) and it's underwire.  Has anyone have any experience with this claim? 

TIA ladies.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hecate9
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I've breast fed 3 children...and I ALWAYS, lol, wear a bra with an underwire. Never had any problems or concerns. They make nursing bras with underwires too.

LavenderMom23
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I never heard it to make a difference. I'm wearing a wire one now. I'm 36 weeks pregnant.

Dylansmom_2010
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Trust me when I say that for me, no underwire is not an option (I was a 36G before pregnancy and a 34I now).  I have had no problems with wearing an underwire nursing bra.  DS will be 5 months on Thursday, is EBF and I have had no mastitis, clogged ducts, etc. at all. 

What was the reasoning behind now wearing an underwire? 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM

WHen I used an underwire I got mastitus, my breasts are 38 DD when nursing and I found some GREAT non underwires at Motherhood maternity.  The wires block the ducts and tend to lower milk supply.

YOu have ducts in your arm pit and THAT is the issue with a wire, some moms do fine others not so much.

SapphireMomma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Quoting Dylansmom_2010:

Trust me when I say that for me, no underwire is not an option (I was a 36G before pregnancy and a 34I now).  I have had no problems with wearing an underwire nursing bra.  DS will be 5 months on Thursday, is EBF and I have had no mastitis, clogged ducts, etc. at all. 

What was the reasoning behind now wearing an underwire? 

Some say that if you wear an underwire that it can cut off supply, cause mastitis and clogged ducts. 
I was just wondering if anyone had problems with underwire. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
JuneWestling
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I wore an underwire during the day no problem. At night I'd use a non wire since I lay on my sides. I thought the wire would then come into effect since I would have added pressure on it. 

mama02040608
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM

You just really have to be very picky with the fit.  I never had a problem and wore underwires with all 4 of my kids.  IMO, Motherhood bras sucked for me...never felt they fit right in wired or unwired styles.  And never felt they gave enough support.My favorites were made by Playtex, but they don't make them anymore.  If the wires aren't digging into your armpits nor are they cutting into the breast tissue, you should be fine.  But be aware you may go up a size or more when your milk comes in.  I wore nursing sports bras from walmart.com for the first few weeks with my last 2 babies (and whenever I felt like chilling out, lol,), and they worked wonderfully.  Enough support, not constricting and then once the initial engorgement is over and your supply is a bit more regulated, you can get fitted for new bras.

LKRA
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Underwire CAN cause blocked ducts; just be careful. I have three nursing bras; two have underwire, one does not. And I like the two that do. lol

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I have seen more moms have problems with underwire than not. There are nursing bras without wire that are designed to support, even if you're in a F cup or higher. Bravada is one of the good brands. Pricey but worth it!

tinasfriend
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM

i have huge (38JJ before getting pregnant) breast. i couldn't find nursing bras in my size with wire so i used wire-free. still had pretty good support. just invest in a few good quality ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)