Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfed Babies & Starting Solids PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM
  • 7 Replies

I posted this in another group that I am a moderator of but wanted to share it here as well. I know there are always tons of posts about starting solids & breastfeeding. Here it is:

I've seen a lot of posts about starting solids on here lately. There are so many different opinions about when to start solids & every pediatrician will tell you differently. I am sharing this based on all of the research I've done on starting solids....you can take it or leave it....I am just trying to be helpful:)
I plan on breastfeeding for at least the first year and am just looking out for the other moms on here who are in the same boat! :)

Here is the thing to consider when breastfeeding & listening to a pedi's advice on starting solids. First of all, the majority of pedi's don't know much at all about breastfeeding because they do not receive any special training in this field. The majority of babies they see are formula fed & starting solids with formula fed babies & with breastfeeding babies is a big difference. The majority of pedi's (please note I'm not including ALL docs in this) are not going to lookout for the well-being of your continued breastfeeding success. It is very easy to assume that health care professionals are going to give you good advice if they know you are breastfeeding because it seems like they all know breast is best. This is unfortunately not the case.

The newest information from the World Health Organization & the American Academy of Pediatrics is saying to wait until 6 months to offer solids. They are suggesting exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months. Starting solids too early & giving your child too many solids during the first year of life can lead to obesity, diabetes, allergies, & other health problems later in life.

If I would have listened to the information I received at my son's pedi's office I would probably be pretty close to being "dried up" & not breastfeeding anymore. The pamphlet I received was 5 years old. It told me to start him out with 1-2 tsp of cereal 3 times a day & at each feeding FOLLOW with formula at 4 months. Two weeks later it told me to give him 1-2TBSP of cereal with each meal along with 1-2TBSP of fruit or veggies FOLLOWED by formula. Notice the huge difference in the amount of food in TWO WEEKS? In NO WAY was this pamphlet helpful for breastfed babies or formula fed babies for that matter.

When starting solids....NURSING SHOULD BE FIRST BEFORE SOLIDS! Do not offer solids first then the breast. This will cause your milk supply to drop...it's the same as supplementing with formula because baby will be nursing less because they are already full. Less nursing = less milk being made. Your baby should not receive less breastmilk because they are eating solids.

A breastfed baby's milk is constantly changing to suit the age & nutritional needs of your baby. Solids are not even really necessary for a breastfed baby for the first year. Your baby's body does not even intake most of the calories from the solids fed to your baby because their stomachs are not mature enough to do so. It's easy to assume that just because your baby is eating all of the food you offer them means they are that hungry. They are just taking the food offered but their stomachs are being stretched. It's just like with adults...we eat until we are full but we can keep eating if we want to...but it stretches our stomachs.

For the first year of babies life their main food source is SUPPOSED TO BE MILK! Whether it's breastmilk or formula! Starting solids is not supposed to replace milk in any way it is basically a trial run to get them used to textures & tastes.

It is so much fun to start babies on solids as it is another little milestone in your babys life but this is just as much fun! My DH & I are very excited to start our son on solids but we also know the benefits of waiting! We are going to do baby led weaning, which allows our son to pick & choose what he wants to eat. We won't be spoon feeding pureed baby food. We will also be skipping baby cereal. The reason for me not spoon feeding baby food is that he is not just being forced to eat what I shove in his mouth.....he will get to pick what he is hungry for. We are going to offer smooshed up pieces of fruit or veggies that he will be able eat (obviously not huge pieces of food!) but he will be the one picking them up & feeding himself. Our bodies tell us when we are hungry & what we need to eat....the same goes for babies too. I know this probably sounds completely outlandish as it did to me at first.

Also.....when it comes to reading info about starting baby on solids...I would not suggest reading booklets put out by formula companies. They WANT you to wean your baby from the breast so you will have to start buying THEIR formula. Your breastfeeding success is NOT in their interest!

If you want more info on baby-led weaning here is a link:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

If you want more info on why to delay solids here is a link:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LKRA
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:33 PM

blowing kisses

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM

BUMP!

FranksHoney
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Thanks!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Daynaof3
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM

BUMP!

kuulgrl80
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 3:47 PM
Wonderful information!

(I'll have to print this for my MIL for when we have another baby. LOL)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemylovey
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM
One question.....and I think I know the answer so I feel silly even asking lol. I am supplementing but have gotten my supply up alot and am cutting back the supplement more. I would assume moms who supplement are at even greater risk from starting solids to early, right? People are constantly asking when DS will be starting solids(hes almost 4 months) and with a low supply the last thing I need is an even lower one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Yeah I would hold off on solids. It is old school thinking even in the medial field to feed babies solids at 4 months.

It's totally unnecessary for a BF baby. Keep BFing & get yourself where you want to be with BFing before even worrying about solids. Solids in the 1st yr are only for practice!

Just think of some great stuff to say to those people when they ask if your baby is getting solids yet:) I have lots of answers lol. They usually look sorry they asked LOL!The easiest one is the World Health Organization recommends exclusively breastfeeding for the first 6 months.

Quoting ilovemylovey:

One question.....and I think I know the answer so I feel silly even asking lol. I am supplementing but have gotten my supply up alot and am cutting back the supplement more. I would assume moms who supplement are at even greater risk from starting solids to early, right? People are constantly asking when DS will be starting solids(hes almost 4 months) and with a low supply the last thing I need is an even lower one.

February 2010 Babies Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)