Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never wanted to CIO, but now...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

I just don't know what to do!  My 6 month old is resisting sleep like I have NEVER seen before.  He's cranky and fussy and over-tired, but he rarely falls asleep at the boob anymore.  He used to nurse b/f nap & bedtime, but now he'll get right to the edge of sleep and get furious.  Back arching, crying in my arms and nothing will soothe him.  He refuses to re-latch, and if I do manage to get him back on, he half falls asleep again then gets even MORE mad.  So I try laying him in his crib with the paci (which he used to take no problem and soothe himself the rest of the way to sleep).   Well, he cries bloody murder.  So I let him fuss (with fuss=cry) for about 5 mins, go back up, rock him, try to put the paci in his mouth- all while he is crying and struggling in my arms.  Nothing!  Then let him cry for a few more mins, go back in and he wants the boob.  He'll nurse to sleep at that point - and a couple of times I've had 2nd let down, so he's actually getting more to eat. 

What is going on??  Does this have anything to do with the fact that he's teething (two tiny little white spots on his lower gums), and running a low grade fever off and on (no higher than 99.5)?  Will this ever stop?  Will I have to continue letting him work out his energy by crying (which is killing me slowly)?  Help mamas!

btw - just in case this extra info would help...we have started giving him tastes of solids (a taste of mashed up avocado w/breastmilk a week ago, and maybe 2 small spoonfulls of organic rice cereal w/breastmilk yesteday).  He also eats very well at his other feedings - I never have problems except at nap & bedtime (or if he gets distracted).  He's a big boy @ 19.5 lbs and hitting his milestones.  I swear if this keeps up, I'm going to hit myself with a milestone LOL

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:27 PM

It's teething. Mine was like that for a week or two (maybe a bit longer). It was awful. She wouldn't sleep, she was a cranky little butt. The only thing that helped was infant tylenol. I'd give her a bit, and she'd calm down and she was able to sleep. After her teeth popped through, it took her a few days, but she got back into her routine, and she's a much happier baby now.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM

My 5 month old has been doing the same thing. The only thing I find that helps is to make sure he's hungry enough that he wants to nurse, because without that he just doesn't settle himself down.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Have you tried letting him cry it out for 10min rather than 5? Or at least listen to see if he starts calming down if you wait a little longer?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM
you can give teething tablets (we use hylands), massage his gums with your finger using light pressure, and/or give him something cold to chew on for a bit before each nursing session. this should pass once his teeth cut. does he calm down when you hold or rock him? maybe try a different atmosphere, sing him a song, rub his back, give him a massage, etc.. it sounds like he is too uncomfortable to nurse and put himself to sleep. maybe by decreasing his discomfort, he'll be able to fall asleep better. if he's uncomfortable, leaving him to cry alone for a longer period of time won't help him to relax. it will just make him more upset and more uncomfortable. hope your little cutie feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM

100% teething. And CIO will make it just that much more miserable. Teethng tablets and LOADS of patience for you.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM
He's so cute!!!! My dd is only 4 months but her fussiness has started to happen, lord help me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Well, it sounds a bit like teething, or possibly baby is frustrated because he wants to cluster nurse and it hurts a bit (teeth) so extra grumpy and they want multiple let-downs in short order (they don't get that it takes a minute ;) )..

I disagree with letting baby cry longer. 

Have you tried a frozen washcloth or teething tablets?  Turning the lights way low or off and humming and cuddling til baby will take the breast again?

It sounds like baby gets frustrated/in pain/overtired and you put baby down and he gets so worked up in distress to the point where the need for comfort (breast) trumps pain/frustration. I don't think that's really a positive thing but if you can't deal emotionally with the crying in your arms (I'm betting perhaps baby would do the same in your arms and letting baby cry alone is probably unnecessary) then I guess lay baby down and walk away for a minute - a minute tho, not 5 or 10.  Or if it is overstimulation couldn't you -stay there- with lights off, possibly  massaging baby (I would feel it is unsafe to let a baby scream alone in a room.  What if something happens?  5 mins is way too long, IMO..A lot can happen in 5 mins) Or offer baby to SO/DH for a few minutes perhaps?

Have you tried putting baby to bed earlier, what time does baby go down???  Even if he'll then wake up to nurse a time or two before you go to bed too?  Maybe he's overtired a bit, which is painful for them so they need comforted.  If it is overstimulation maybe try being more calming/quiet around bed time.  If it's teething or frustration, try teething helping methods or rocking/cuddling and please don't just walk away from baby in pain or frustrated unless you can't handle it calmly..

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Do you have any carriers?  Wrap, sling, ergo, etc...?  Those were always and continue to be failsafe for getting my LO to sleep. 

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM

When mine are teething, I just plan on spending hours parked on the couch or in our bed soothing, bouncing, and rocking them to sleep.  It's a pain, yes, and I feel like I'm spending half my life sitting on my butt (which drives me mad) but I think it's worth it to our babies knowing that mommy will be there when they hurt.

Baby Motrin can help ease the fever and teething pains, you can try teething tablets (Hylands and other brands), Baby Orajel is an option also although that can numb the gums so much it interferes with nursing and should be considered an option of last resort.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:22 PM
More then likely teething... I didn't read the other replies so sorry if I am repeating anything....

Have you tried teething tablets or gel or anything??? If u have and they aren't working try some Tylenol....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)