Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't understand WHYYYY...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

There is so many posts about women who are told to supplement with formula and a bottle at the slightest hint of a supply issue. Sometimes, before a real problem is even identified! I just don't get it!

During my hospital stay, when my LO was born (May 2010), she had a couple issues. The docs were concerned about her heart and were keeping her in the nursery. Before a problem was even established, they were bothering me to supplement with a bottle and to give her a pacifier so they could keep her in the Nursery.

Later, we found out she did have a heart problem, and before she was even sent to the NICU, the nurses were already telling me that she would need to have some formula. They didn't even offer to allow me some time to pump.

While in the NICU, I would breastfeed, and the nurses would offer her a bottle afterwards! At the time she was jaundice, was a very slow eater and would fall asleep while eating due to being really tired. They'd weigh her before and after, and decide she needed ONE MORE OUNCE!

They said they were supporting me breastfeeding, but really, they weren't! LO was born on the 16th, and all of this happened before she was released on the 20th!

I just don't understand why breastfeeding, something so natural, has to be made into such a challenge, and even those that you would expect to support it, are so quick to offer a supplement??

Tell me what you think, and feel free to share your experiences!

PLEASE NO BASHING!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SoniaL
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I haven't had supply issues. But at the hospital where i had my 4 kids, I "tried" to BF with my forst 2 and gave up (due to lack of knowledge and support). But I look back on it and I see that when I asked for formula the nurses really encouraged me to keep at BFing and offered to send the LC.  I wish I had kept at it but I gave up. But that hospital is SO BFing friendly, it is wonderful.  They won't give you a pacifier (if you state you are BFing) unless you ask.

Ferdymom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I know how you feel, and agree. I hope your little one is doing good. I think it has to do with a generation that has had formula shoved down then that they now feel that its the only way to make sure That the baby is getting enought. The funnyiest thing is you milk hadn't come in yet, and all she was getting was collestrum which is better then formula. I had one nurse that came in to check on me and my daughter(2 weeks now) and when I told her I was nursing, she had a different attitude, like I was harming my daughter, not helping. Had she come back in to check, I would have ask for another nurse, this is my third, all BF, so I would have told her off. I hope you are getting the nursing down pat. Good luck and let us know if you daughter needs pray or anyhelp.

Ammie25
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Quoting Ferdymom:

I know how you feel, and agree. I hope your little one is doing good. I think it has to do with a generation that has had formula shoved down then that they now feel that its the only way to make sure That the baby is getting enought. The funnyiest thing is you milk hadn't come in yet, and all she was getting was collestrum which is better then formula. I had one nurse that came in to check on me and my daughter(2 weeks now) and when I told her I was nursing, she had a different attitude, like I was harming my daughter, not helping. Had she come back in to check, I would have ask for another nurse, this is my third, all BF, so I would have told her off. I hope you are getting the nursing down pat. Good luck and let us know if you daughter needs pray or anyhelp.

Since we left the hospital, we've done wonderfully with breastfeeding. My LO did have an Atrial Flutter (heart related) and while in the NICU, recovered completely! She is on meds til she's 6 mo old, just to make sure the heart condition doesn't come back. Thanks for expressing concern with how she's doing. :)

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM

My hospital was very pro-breastfeeding. I had a lacation consultant come see me within an hour of baby's birth.

Marimaru
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM

My hospital sent me a "lactation consultant" who immediately recommended supplementing formula with an SNS.  It took me 4 weeks to quit supplementing, though I believe if I'd had proper support for BF that I never would have been supplementing in the first place.  Next time I'll decline.  They told me that if she lost any more weight she'd have to stay in the hospital (She'd lost just barely 10%).

MelaneeO
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM

i can realate to your frustration.  it seems like breastfeeding should be a no brainer: i had a baby, now my boobs are heavy with milk...now what to do with it?  i had a group of friends tell me that they thought it would be gross to taste my own milk (i have no clue how this came up) or to drink breastmilk (they weren't refering to my baby).  i became offended and shot back:

"you're NOT ok with drinking your own species milk but you ARE ok drinking a cow's breastmilk??"

they were quiet after that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)