Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BF and Baby Weight

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM
  • 4 Replies

After DS was born, I lost the weight pretty quickly- I maybe gained 20lbs.  Now, at 5.5 months, I'm 10+lbs. less than prepregnancy- I'm 123lbs. now.  I've always credited it to nursing since I am not exercising.  I feel like I have a monster appetite but eat sensibly.  I plan on getting back in the gym in a couple of weeks since the nursery won't take babies until 6 months.  I am thinking I'll probably put on a few lbs. since some of this flab will hopefully start turning into muscle again.  My question is, do many people gain weight when they stop BFing?  I'm scared that I will!  I don't know why, I just always thought 135ish was normal for me and now that I'm less, I don't want to go back!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Some gain, some lose, some stay exactly the same. I know, not really an answer but the only one I can give. I've seen all three varieties many times.

Charli627
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM
Each time I lost weight while BF and after I stopped. I have three kids. I now weigh 109. I was 97 lbs before. I want to keep what I have now. Your weight after BF will depend on your diet and excerise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:24 PM

I always lose immediately and then gain tons back.  I gain very little while preggers then weight goes UP when BFing...so I am of little help to you

cocorosey
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Re: gaining weight after stopping BF - I sure hope not!  I lost 30 lbs (of the 55 I gained during this pregnancy) within the first 2 weeks, then gained 5 back and am stuck there. 

I thought BF was supposed to make the weight melt right off but it is so not the case for me...and I do exercise - walk every day and do Pilates (though not nearly as often as before).  I am not dieting but I do not feel like I am eating too much or too little but my body seems to like this weight (sigh).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)