Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

start solids at 4 months

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM
  • 11 Replies
My sons pediatrician is very pro bfing and 2 yrs ago w/DS1 He told us to wait until 6 months to start any solids.

Well, today at DS2 4month well visit he told us to start solids if we'd like. I questioned him BC everything I know said to wait. He said that there's new research about there being no benefits of waiting, etc.

I need to go do a little more research, but has anyone heard of this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM
No. All of the stuff I've seen says to wait until at least 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I've heard that, but I wouldn't listen to it.  They'll be saying something different in a few years.  Six months is still the earliest I would start offering solids, just because I don't see any benefits to starting early, either.

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I am sure it wouldn't hurt your child if you started now (other than possibly not nursing as long) but its not needed.. The only thing baby might need is more iron after 6 months.. You can do that with 1 bowl of rice cereal...

I didn't start either of my kids on solids till 8 months.. DD got the rice ceral if I remember after 7 but it wasn't a huge deal to my pedi..

Erica

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM
everything i've ever read, written by breastfeeding experts, says to wait a MINIMUM of 6 months, and even longer, if desired. in fact, babies really only need breastmilk for their first year of life. solids are really just for tasting and experience!! obviously, you can, and will, do what you feel is best, but for us, it wasn't worth the risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoniaL
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I thought 4 months was the old recommendation not the new one. Some older lady at church, when i told her we were holding off on solids, said she heard "they" are now saying holding off is more likely to cause allergies than feeding them earlier.  I blew it off.

I truly can't see a benefit to starting earlier. Honestly, we started my DD at 7 months and 1 week and she hated the texture of baby food so she went straight to finger foods. I am SO glad to have skipped all that messy & time consuming baby food! lol

MyJordyLu
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM

It was 4 months back when I had my son but now it's 6 months at least.

lfrrll5
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I would wait to help your supply or at least make sure that you nurse before you give him  solids. Be careful adding solids this early can cause a decrease in supply.

shauna1227
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM
No, my Dr actually said that the new research says that introducing solids at 4 monthss actually DOES decrease the likelihood of allergies, the opposite of What it used to be. And all of this is coming from a very pro extended bfing Dr. He says the research is new. I was actually very surprised he even recommended it.

Quoting SoniaL:

I thought 4 months was the old recommendation not the new one. Some older lady at church, when i told her we were holding off on solids, said she heard "they" are now saying holding off is more likely to cause allergies than feeding them earlier.  I blew it off.

I truly can't see a benefit to starting earlier. Honestly, we started my DD at 7 months and 1 week and she hated the texture of baby food so she went straight to finger foods. I am SO glad to have skipped all that messy & time consuming baby food! lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjohnson805
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Doctors always change their minds on when to do things when it comes to all kinds of topics. You never know what to believe. One thing I do know for SURE is that there is NO nutritional need for a baby to eat solids at 6 months, let alone 4 months. Also, your child must reach certain milestones in order to even consume solids, such as sitting up UNASSISTED. I would wait until at LEAST six months, and even then, your childs nutrition is coming from your milk, not the solids. The solids are merely meant as an introduction to "real" food. Why rush your baby?

shauna1227
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM
I agree. I personally don't think he's ready. He's still very wobbly when sitting while being supported. He definitely doesn't seem interested in our food. I'm going to hold off, I don't want to rush him to grow up. But, I was definitely curious as to what this "new" study says. I've been looking online, but can't find it.

Quoting sarahjohnson805:

Doctors always change their minds on when to do things when it comes to all kinds of topics. You never know what to believe. One thing I do know for SURE is that there is NO nutritional need for a baby to eat solids at 6 months, let alone 4 months. Also, your child must reach certain milestones in order to even consume solids, such as sitting up UNASSISTED. I would wait until at LEAST six months, and even then, your childs nutrition is coming from your milk, not the solids. The solids are merely meant as an introduction to "real" food. Why rush your baby?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)