Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low Supply (fenugreek) - I don't think so *update*

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM
  • 32 Replies

I've read alot of posts about how ped's don't know much and always handing out crappy advice, I thought nothing of it until today! My baby went in for his 9 month well baby appt. (he's 10 months though) and shocker, he's very underweight (has been since birth) at 14 pounds.

First I was told I would eventually need to supplement with formula. I looked her dead in her eyes and said, that will never happen. She says, even if that is what is best for your baby? Very questionally.. and I said, yes. I will never give him formula. Never. And then she goes on to say, well that is a good 'GOAL' to have but I wouldn't expect it. Wtf???

Then I am told the reason he isn't gaining much weight is that I MUST have a low milk supply. He's eating through the night and "eating wayyyy too much during the day still'. So I must be low. Isn't this eating ALOT normal???

I just don't feel there is anything wrong with my supply. Diapers have always been a bit low, sure but it's been that way since birth and I didn't even BF until he was 2 months... so I don't put those two together..

UGH. UGH GH UGH. Well I am going to take the prescription or the Fenugreek just out of spite, is it going to affect anything badly? What should I expect? Advice?

Ok so for right now I don't think I am going to start on Fenugreek, I will though if nothing 'seems' to improve. But I really have a couple other questions about pumping. I should be expierenced there but not while BFing too LOL..

If I start pumping once a day, eventually my supply will meet that correct, because I tried the other day and got virtually NOTHING, it was a very sore site. =( But if I continue it daily I should see something eventully correct?

Is there a better time of the day to pump? Is it really better if I can manage doing it when baby is BFing or right after he BFs?

Mostly I would love to build up a new little stash as I just had to throw out almost 100 bottles of milk yesterday, it's taken me months to be able to do that but they've been expired for awhile!!! But if I add pumping in one day will that help me make more milk overall, if in case my supply 'is low'?

Thank everyone!!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:17 PM
As long as ur getting 6 - 8 diapers a day is good. How much did he weight at birth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoastieWifePR
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:17 PM

your baby is 10 months old, have you started solids yet?

teachermama81
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Yes, what are his weights, how "low" is low when it comes to diapers, and do you do solids at all?

ablackdolphin
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM

It's annoying that your Dr. wouldn't at least try to determine if your supply is "low".  Why didn't she weigh the baby, have you nurse and then weigh again after feeding....to see how much he's getting???? I guess that would be logical and scientific......do you have any way of doing that through a LC?

Miss.Cullen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM

He is eating solids, much as I don't feel it's right but last month she told me I NEEDED to give him solids to help him gain weight. So we started slowly, and now he is up to baby food 2 times a day. And various snacks (puffs and crackers)..

By low diapers I mean, less than average. 4-6 diapers maybe. I technically cannot be sure as I do not count them but I know it's not 8 a day, def. not!

He weighed 4 pounds at birth, he was born 1 month premature.

1 month - 5 pounds, 5 ounces

2 months - 7 pounds, 9 ounces

3 months - 9 pounds, 4 ounces

4 1/2 months - 11 pounds, 4 ounces

7 months - 12 pounds, 10 ounces

8 1/2 months - 13 pounds, 5 ounces And now at pretty much 10 months he is 14 even.

She is telling me it "looks" as if my supply started dropping off around 4 months.

And I DO have a way of seeing a lactation consultant it's not easy but I CAN. And probably will very soon...

Miss.Cullen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM

She also told me that 'at this age' he should ONLY be nursing about 4 times a day and none whatsoever at night!! I don't agree with that, he should be nursing whenever he wants I think!

And that most of his food should be real food now and he needs to be fed baby food and real food 3-4 times a day.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Four pounds to 14 is 10 pounds gain!  That is a gain of one pound a month and what we look for at a minimum.  It is also normal to slow down between 4-6 months.  He had HUGE gains in the begining and leveled off.  If he continued gaining like he was in the begining, he would be HUGE and you wouldn't be able to carry him now. 

teachermama81
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Well he's gained 10 pounds in 10 months, so that's good.  He seems to follow the exact path that most other babies do, but he started off so small that he is GOING to be small for a good while I would think.  I mean he's already tripled his birth weight PLUS some! 

I'm obviously not an expert but it looks like he's doing fine...how wet are the diapers?  4-6 Tablespoons is all you need to count the diaper as "one".  Anymore than that and it counts for two.  Think of what goes in, must come out.  So if you have 6-8 wet diapers of 4-6 tablespoons (ounces), baby is getting 24-32 ounces a day, perfect.  Maybe keep track of how many diapers and how full they are for a couple days and see how that goes? 

Also, unless you are feeding him really really high calorie solids, like avacado and sweet potato, ounce for ounce, he's not getting the same amount of calories.  So if he gets two jars of food per day PLUS snacks, that's 6-8 ounces of *something* that's not breastmilk.  So maybe cut back a bit on those.  Someone posted a chart on the calories in different foods as compared to BM, I'll see if I can find it for ya!

Jen825
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I don't know... in general, I think doctors are too quick to encourage formula.  But your baby's weights do really worry me.  That, with the fact that the diaper count is low, could be problematic.  Maybe your supply really is low... could it be because you relactated at 2 months and never got the supply fully back? 

Either way, you're right...it's annoying that you doc immediately recommends formula.  Why not encourage you to increase your supply instead?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I would NOT listen to anything nutrition related that comes from this doctor!  My 2 1/2 year old still nurses WAY more than that day AND night.  Your milk is ALL he needs until AT LEAST a year old and maybe longer since he is a preemie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)