Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help im sick and my 6 wk old wont latch!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM
  • 6 Replies
hi once again ladies. i seeked help from you guys when my baby was first born. everything has been going great up until i got sick 2 days ago. i have a cold and went on this website to look up medicines that was compatable with bfing and it said i could take tylenol cold. well i did and it decreased my supply. my baby has been so fussy and i supplemented with formula and now she doesnt want to latch and her suck whern she does latch is pretty weak. im nervous because i didnt want to supplement, but her diapers count was dropping. i dont want to stop bfing, but me and my little girl are so frusrtated. i wish i never got sick because this wouldnt have happen. i did call a lc today about it and she told me to put baby to breast every hour to get my supply up, i have been doing that but she just cries and cries after i let her nurse for as long as she want to on both sides. sorry so long but i really need you guys expertise on this. thanks in advance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM

At six weeks she'd be doing this ANYWAY. Remember why we bond...it prevents infanticide.

Get a supplemental nursing system. (Google it.) NO BOTTLES. This is 100% fixable but you have to make her mad.

Charli627
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:40 PM
And you can try fenugreek. Get it at a GNC store. And a tea called mother's milk.

Quoting gdiamante:

At six weeks she'd be doing this ANYWAY. Remember why we bond...it prevents infanticide.

Get a supplemental nursing system. (Google it.) NO BOTTLES. This is 100% fixable but you have to make her mad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christina807
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I always think gdiamante gives the BEST advice, so I have nothing to add as far as that is concerned.  I just thought I would tell you what I've done when I've gotten sick.  And I have gotten sick A LOT since having my daughter.  Way more than usual.  Pretty much during the day I tough it out.  Drink lots of water, of course.  Then at night I will take a dose of cold medicine after my daughter's last feeding for the night.  Then by the time she wakes in the middle of the night, the bulk of the meds are out of my system.  And I figure one dose a day won't hurt my supply compared to taking the meds all day.  I have had to take some extra cough medicine at night, though, a couple of nights and I will sleep propped up.  Hope this helps, if not this time, if you get sick again.

msjoosey1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:09 PM
thanks guys i am so depressed about this. then im not able to pay my attention to my older dd because im trying to make sure the little one is content. im going to try everything and see what happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msjoosey1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:11 PM
where can i find the mothers milk

Quoting Charli627:

And you can try fenugreek. Get it at a GNC store. And a tea called mother's milk.

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM

GNC Vitmain shoppe and Target are the places I have bought it, it takes 3-5 cups of it a day too

I think 9-12 fenugreek pills would just be easier, GNC and Vitamin shoppe has those too

BUT at 6 weeks this is normal no matter what.  Drops in diapers are ok as long as 6 minimum is reached

Quoting msjoosey1:

where can i find the mothers milk

Quoting Charli627:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)