Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your baby ever shook while nursing & falling asleep?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm trying to find out if this has ever happened to anyone else. My son has had several shaking spells. I took him to the doctor & they referred us to get an EEG to test for epilepsy, which we did last week & are waiting on the results.

He just did it again & I was watching him closely before & after it happened. It looks like what is happening is he is nursing & starting to fall asleep. While he's nursing he's moving his mouth & head back & forth in a rhythm & then his head starts shaking as well as his upper body. It's almost as if the sucking starts it. Before I saw it start I thought his whole body was shaking but now I don't know if it is or not. After he stops shaking he is asleep.He usually only shakes about 30 seconds to 2 minutes

I was wondering if he is just doing this when he is really tired & he sort of loses control of his nervous system in the transition from awake to asleep. It doesn' t happen every time he nurses & falls asleep only sometimes. I thought it was only when he was really tired but tonight he did it when he had just taken a nap shortly before (he does have a cold right now so he may be more tired than normal). I'm just wondering because if they come back & say he doesn't have epilepsy I'm afraid the doctor will say they don't know what it is and leave it at that.

Has anyone ever had this happen before?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
childress1987
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:50 PM
Sorry momma not me, but be sure and watch hime closley a trip to the ER may be in order imo and if nothing else they will get answers much faster!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:45 PM

My son had involuntary movements with Sandifer's syndrome associated with GERD, but honestly they sound different than what you describe. Utube seizures and Sandifer's syndrome in infants, and see if any of the videos are similar to your son's movement disorder. I am sorry, I know this is so scary.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Thank you! I will check it out! It is very scary

Quoting Marti123:

My son had involuntary movements with Sandifer's syndrome associated with GERD, but honestly they sound different than what you describe. Utube seizures and Sandifer's syndrome in infants, and see if any of the videos are similar to your son's movement disorder. I am sorry, I know this is so scary.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Thank you SO much for telling me to look this up! I didn't even think about it....which I can't believe. But I found another video of a baby doing the same thing as my son. It seems from what everyone said on there it is just a shudder attack & it goes away after a  year. To make sure I am going to record what he does & show it to doctor. Thanks again!

Quoting Marti123:

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I'm glad this lessened your worries!

palexander
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Our son use to do too. It done it about 6 times within the first 8 months. He outgrew it. It was almost like a seizure but without the other side effects. It was scary.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I'm glad to hear someone else has been through it. It is very scary! I'm glad to hear most people saying their babies outgrew it. I've only seen posts from people on youtube. Thanks for responding :)

Quoting palexander:

Our son use to do too. It done it about 6 times within the first 8 months. He outgrew it. It was almost like a seizure but without the other side effects. It was scary.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM

My son is doing it almost every day now. At first he didn't...he only did it every once in awhile.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)