Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby's pedi told me my milk is like water and making my baby throw up...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM
  • 22 Replies

We went for her 6 month appt today and I left 1.5 hrs later in tears.  She was 14 lb 10 oz at her 4 month appt and today she was 14 lb 6.5 oz (after they weighed her six times).  I read that this is a healthy weight for a six month old.  I had huge supply issues in the last two months, but the last 3 weeks I have been up.  I have been experiencing some postpartum depression, so I tried to introduce formula so that I could get out for awhile (as she eats every 2 hrs and it's hard for me to pump at night bc I am prego and extremely tired).  Now my milk has turned to colostrum is what we think and she doesn't like the taste.  She is pulling off and letting the milk run out of her mouth and she did this for two days straight, so I decided it was best to supplement bc I couldn't get her to eat for longer than 5 minutes.  Well, she never stays latched on more than 5 minutes now period.  So I've been nursing her on each side for 5 min and then giving her 2-4 oz formula and she's taking in solids.  She started spitting up which she has never done, so I don't think she can handle the formula.  I started giving her what I had frozen and she stopped spitting up.  I told the pedi this and she said I can not bf bc I am pregnant.  There are no nutrients and my milk is like water.  It is filling up her stomach with water and then I'm giving her formula and she's getting sick bc she's pumped full of water.  I gave her 4oz bm in bottle in front of pedi and she was still hungry so I put her on the breast and the pedi said this is the last time I should ever nurse her.  She is doing it just for comfort and doesn't need it.  Also, it's not normal for her to eat every 2 hrs.  I'm so pissed, I know my milk is not like water.  I'm taking in 3000 calories just to keep my milk up, there is no way it's like water!  Right?!?  Should I stop nursing her completely??  I thought it would be better for her to get some than none, but I just don't know anymore. 

Oh and they asked me why I would even try organic formula... it doesn't have the right nutrients as well... I'm so confused.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WilliamsMama08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Haha... I'm sorry I just had to laugh at this (not at you at pedi).  What a joke!  I am going to let the more experienced ladies answer this. 

jenntysmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:56 PM

something is going on if she weighs less than she did 2 months ago... but not sure what the solution would be. You may have to suppliment since you are pregnant... maybe after the baby is born and your milk supply is back up you can tandem nurse :) I am interested to see what others have to say I wih you the best of luck!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM

YOur milk when it changes to colostrum fully is NOT nutritionally enough for a 6 month old, BUT there is value to it and whatever she can get is wonderful theres NO need to stop nursing.  The like water stuff is CRAP and I would switch peds.  The formula very well could be causing upset tummy...look into donor milk.

Did your LO get solids before 6 months?  Did you start them around4 months?

ALL formulas have to have the minimal nutritional value, I bet theya re being paid off by a particular formula company.  Did they recommend a certain kind?  Organic is awesome, better than regular stuff and I would use that over regular formula.

Get a supplimental nurser and ditch bottles, use formula or donor milk in the SNS and nurse for every feeding...this means ore time at the breast so more BM

charity987
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I, by no means, have all the answers for which you search, but I thought I'd offer you what I can. :) I'm sure more educated mommas can give you more specifics.

Quoting LuccasMommy:

We went for her 6 month appt today and I left 1.5 hrs later in tears.  She was 14 lb 10 oz at her 4 month appt and today she was 14 lb 6.5 oz (after they weighed her six times).  My 9 month old only weighs 16 lb & his ped says he's perfectly healthy! It sounds like a healthy weight to me. I read that this is a healthy weight for a six month old.  I had huge supply issues in the last two months, but the last 3 weeks I have been up.  I have been experiencing some postpartum depression, so I tried to introduce formula so that I could get out for awhile I feel ya on wanting to get out of the house! I wish I could!! (as she eats every 2 hrs and it's hard for me to pump at night bc I am prego and extremely tired).  Now my milk has turned to colostrum is what we think and she doesn't like the taste.  She is pulling off and letting the milk run out of her mouth and she did this for two days straight, so I decided it was best to supplement bc I couldn't get her to eat for longer than 5 minutes.  Well, she never stays latched on more than 5 minutes now period.  So I've been nursing her on each side for 5 min and then giving her 2-4 oz formula and she's taking in solids.  She started spitting up which she has never done, so I don't think she can handle the formula.  I started giving her what I had frozen and she stopped spitting up.  I told the pedi this and she said I can not bf bc I am pregnant.  That's not true! Many, many women bf while pg & then tandum bf after the new baby is born! There are no nutrients and my milk is like water.  It is filling up her stomach with water and then I'm giving her formula and she's getting sick bc she's pumped full of water. This is a load of crap! Even if you are now producing colostrum, that stuff is liquid gold! FAR from "water"!!I gave her 4oz bm in bottle in front of pedi and she was still hungry so I put her on the breast and the pedi said this is the last time I should ever nurse her.  She is doing it just for comfort and doesn't need it.  I hate to say it, but I think I would NOT be going back to that ped! She sounds uneducated about bf & is so not supportive. Find someone who actually knows about bf & will be supportive & helpful. Also, it's not normal for her to eat every 2 hrs.  My 9 month old still eats on average every 2 hours. (sometimes more often, sometimes less often - In fact, he's just getting over being sick & he was nursing about every 1 1/2 -2 hours, even through the night!) I'm so pissed (I am too...for you!), I know my milk is not like water.  I'm taking in 3000 calories just to keep my milk up, there is no way it's like water!  Right?!?  Should I stop nursing her completely?? I wouldn't, but that's just me. If she weans herself, you can't force her to bf. This is where I'm hoping some other Mommies have some good advice for you. I thought it would be better for her to get some than none, but I just don't know anymore. 

Oh and they asked me why I would even try organic formula... it doesn't have the right nutrients as well... I'm so confused. I don't know much about formula, BUT I do know that I would head for Organic formula first if I had to turn to it for any reason.

*HUGS* I hope things get better for you soon!

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Quoting LuccasMommy:

We went for her 6 month appt today and I left 1.5 hrs later in tears.  She was 14 lb 10 oz at her 4 month appt and today she was 14 lb 6.5 oz (after they weighed her six times).  I read that this is a healthy weight for a six month old. 

But a weight drop is a concern.

I had huge supply issues in the last two months, but the last 3 weeks I have been up.  I have been experiencing some postpartum depression, so I tried to introduce formula so that I could get out for awhile (as she eats every 2 hrs and it's hard for me to pump at night bc I am prego and extremely tired).  Now my milk has turned to colostrum is what we think and she doesn't like the taste.  She is pulling off and letting the milk run out of her mouth and she did this for two days straight, so I decided it was best to supplement bc I couldn't get her to eat for longer than 5 minutes.  Well, she never stays latched on more than 5 minutes now period.  So I've been nursing her on each side for 5 min and then giving her 2-4 oz formula and she's taking in solids.  She started spitting up which she has never done, so I don't think she can handle the formula. 

Sounds like you nailed it there.

I started giving her what I had frozen and she stopped spitting up.  I told the pedi this and she said I can not bf bc I am pregnant. 

WRONG.

There are no nutrients

WRONG.

and my milk is like water. 

WRONG. Three strikes...ped is FIRED. DO NOT GO BACK, EVEN IF BABY IS DYING! This ped probably would kill her faster. FIND ANOTHER DOC!

It is filling up her stomach with water and then I'm giving her formula and she's getting sick bc she's pumped full of water.  I gave her 4oz bm in bottle in front of pedi and she was still hungry so I put her on the breast and the pedi said this is the last time I should ever nurse her.  She is doing it just for comfort and doesn't need it.  Also, it's not normal for her to eat every 2 hrs.  I'm so pissed, I know my milk is not like water.  I'm taking in 3000 calories just to keep my milk up, there is no way it's like water!  Right?!?  Should I stop nursing her completely??  I thought it would be better for her to get some than none, but I just don't know anymore. 

FIRE THE PED.

Oh and they asked me why I would even try organic formula... it doesn't have the right nutrients as well... I'm so confused.

FIRE THE PED. And DO NOT listen to ONE WORD you heard there.

I can refer you to a witch doctor if you'd like. Provided you don't mind shrunken head decor.

mama02040608
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM

You may indeed need to continue to supplement due to the pregnancy, and you may need to find a formula that does work for your baby.  You DO NOT need to wean unless you are high risk.  Your milk has the same nutrients it did before.  Pregnancy CAN change the taste of the milk...mine got very salty the two times I got pregnant and was still nursing.  The formula is likely what's making her spit up, not the idea that your "watery milk" is filling her up and then formula puts her over the top.  Bad, bad, stupid, awful pedi.  I wish I could hug you now!  She might need a little extra than you can produce right now, but no reason you can't keep nursing thru the pregnancy and beyond.

lifetimelove
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Quoting LuccasMommy:

We went for her 6 month appt today and I left 1.5 hrs later in tears.  She was 14 lb 10 oz at her 4 month appt and today she was 14 lb 6.5 oz (after they weighed her six times).  I read that this is a healthy weight for a six month old. 

It might be a healthy weight for a six month old, but the weight LOSS is concerning.  If she was weighed on the same scale and naked, then I would be concerned.

I had huge supply issues in the last two months, but the last 3 weeks I have been up.  I have been experiencing some postpartum depression, so I tried to introduce formula so that I could get out for awhile (as she eats every 2 hrs and it's hard for me to pump at night bc I am prego and extremely tired).  Now my milk has turned to colostrum is what we think and she doesn't like the taste. 

If you are pregnant than you are most likely going to HAVE to supplement, either with pumped milk or formula, she's too young, unfortunately.  I rarely tell a woman that she'll need to supplement, but getting pregnant when a baby is under 6 months old almost always necessitates supplementation.  Colostrum won't hurt her, and actually has a lot of benefits, but it won't provide what she needs nutritionally.

She is pulling off and letting the milk run out of her mouth and she did this for two days straight, so I decided it was best to supplement bc I couldn't get her to eat for longer than 5 minutes. 

A good idea - she might nurse longer when she gets used to the colostrum, but it's not going to "count" if that makes sense.

Well, she never stays latched on more than 5 minutes now period.  So I've been nursing her on each side for 5 min and then giving her 2-4 oz formula and she's taking in solids.  She started spitting up which she has never done, so I don't think she can handle the formula. 

You might need to try a different formula, if you don't have enough pumped milk.  At this stage of pregnancy (I assume you're in your 2nd trimester?) you can't really "count" breastfeeding and will have to feed her the same amount of ounces of formula or pumped milk that someone who is not nursing would do.

I started giving her what I had frozen and she stopped spitting up.  I told the pedi this and she said I can not bf bc I am pregnant. 

Your pediatritian is full of crap, there's no reason not to nurse her unless you are at risk for preterm labor, and you'd certainly know that by now.

There are no nutrients and my milk is like water.  It is filling up her stomach with water and then I'm giving her formula and she's getting sick bc she's pumped full of water. 

Well, it does have nutrients, but not the kind that she'll need to grow.  It's nothing like water.  And it's not like there's a ton of it, she will NOT fill up on colostrum.  I promise.  Your pediatritian is an idiot.  Unfortunately they don't know anything about this stuff.  My daughter's GI doctor (whom you think would know this stuff) was shocked I was still nursing her (I'm 4 months pregnant) and when I told her about the colostrum helping with her constipation, she had no idea what I was talking about.  And then she asked me if my daughter was going to be "taking" from the new baby.  I'm like, um, no.  Then she asked me if I was worried about it putting me into labor.  Again, um, no.  I just look at these as moments to educate the doctors.  =)

I gave her 4oz bm in bottle in front of pedi and she was still hungry so I put her on the breast and the pedi said this is the last time I should ever nurse her. 

Ignore pediatritian.  Give her the bottle and then nurse her for comfort.  Look up how many ounces she needs at this age.

She is doing it just for comfort and doesn't need it. 

Ridiculous.  Why wouldn't a baby need to be comforted?  There's absolutely no reason not to nurse her.

Also, it's not normal for her to eat every 2 hrs. 

It is normal, and she's going through a growth spurt.  However, she's likely trying to nurse more because she knows her body isn't getting enough to grow - unfortunately, your body doesn't have the ability to make the milk for her right now.

I'm so pissed, I know my milk is not like water.  I'm taking in 3000 calories just to keep my milk up, there is no way it's like water!  Right?!?  Should I stop nursing her completely??  I thought it would be better for her to get some than none, but I just don't know anymore. 

Keep nursing her, but you need to supplement.  The colostrum is EXCELLENT because it has amazing immunological qualities, so even if she's not getting nutrition from it, it's still great for her digestive and immune systems.  Plenty of reason to keep nursing.

That's just silly, it has the same nutrients as regular formula.  They just use organic ingredients.  Well, some organic, there's some question as to whether or not it's benefitial because of the speculation about DHA and such, but that's another matter.  You're just going to have to figure out which one works best for her, organic or not.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

JocelynsMama1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I'm no expert but my doctor would never say stop nursing all together...some bm is better than none especially with the child taking in supplement formula and solids. It would make since that your milk is changing and your child may not like the taste because you are pregnant and that SOME nutrients are being pulled to the baby in you instead of your breast milk but theres no way it has no nutritional value. And just so you know my daughter is 17 months old and only ways 19 lbs yes shes small for her age but very healthy eats like a horse and hardly ever sick...so dont let you ped make you think weight is everything...my ped thinks my daughter is healthy just petite and she was a good size baby at birth lol good luck

rhianonmat
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM

first..... your ped is an idiot.  Fire the Ped and get a new one... asap.

Second... it's entirely possible that your little one is sensitive to cow's milk or soy.  Most formulas are made from either cow's milk or soy.  Try a different formula if you decide to use the formula. 

Lots of mamas nurse babies through pregnancy.  You can too!

emfm2013
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:23 PM

i read that you can bf while pregnant if you have a low risk pregnancy, that the only reason not to is if your kiddo weans themself. get a 2nd opinion

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)