Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

antifungal pills

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:56 PM
  • 3 Replies

my friend has a fungal infection on her toes and she's wondering if she can take anything for it? like the lamisol pills? would they be safe while bfing? i couldnt find what category it would be in on the kellymom site?

thanks!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Terbinafine
CASRN: 91161-71-6

For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:
Limited information indicates that oral maternal doses of 500 mg daily produce low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months. Monitor the infant for jaundice or other signs of liver toxicity, especially in younger, exclusively breastfed infants.

Topical terbinafine has not been studied during breastfeeding. Because only about 1% is absorbed after topical application, it is considered a low risk to the nursing infant.[1] Avoid application to the nipple area and ensure that the infant's skin does not come into direct contact with the areas of skin that have been treated.

Hottubgodess
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Per Dr Hale MMM 2010:

Terbinafine - L2 - SaferSystemic absorption following topical therapy is minimal.  Following oral dose of 500mg in tow volunteers, the total dose of terbinafine secreted in breastmilk during the 72 hr post dosing period was .65 mg in one mother and .15 mg in another.  The total excretion of terbinafine in breastmilk ranged from 0.13% to 0.03% of total maternal dose.  Topical absorption thru skin is minimal.  No pediatric concerns reported via breastmilk. 

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

mama2mycuties
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM

thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)