Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a butter/margerine substitute

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:10 PM
  • 14 Replies

I need to avoid dairy and soy for my little one. I can cook without it, but what can I put on my toast and corn and food that I would normally butter. I know I can use jelly on toast, but I want something that has the fat that you get in the butter. Does anyone know of a good substitute? I was using Smart Balance, but just noticed that it does contain soy. The stores in my area don't carry Fleishmanns unsalted, just the salted, which has dairy, don't know if that's soy free anyway.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arisce
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Earth balance makes a dairy/soy free margarine. It's really good.

Arisce
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Also, sometimes soy oil/lecithin aren't an issue for some kids.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Smart Balance heart right light or the new Cardio Choice light from Wal Mart.  It must be the LIGHT to be milk and soy free.  We use both because of DS.  They have a good flavor and consistency, spread easily and are practically identical.  (The Wal Mart brand is the knock off and is FAR less expensive.)  These will both contain soy oil, but oil and lecithin are not a problem for MOST allergic kids.

eema.gray
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Try what traditional Italians do:  Take a pint jar and fill it with olive oil.  Extra virgin (first pressing of the olives) for preference.  To the jar, add a couple cloves of crushed garlic, a handful of fresh basil leaves, coursely chopped, and a tomato, diced.  Also drop in about 1 T of salt and the same amount of freshly crushed black pepper. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Oooh, I don't remember my grandparents ever doing this. So then you stir it all and pop it in the fridge? I can't imagine that would stay well at room temperature.

Quoting eema.gray:

Try what traditional Italians do:  Take a pint jar and fill it with olive oil.  Extra virgin (first pressing of the olives) for preference.  To the jar, add a couple cloves of crushed garlic, a handful of fresh basil leaves, coursely chopped, and a tomato, diced.  Also drop in about 1 T of salt and the same amount of freshly crushed black pepper. 

kristinas8
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM

The soy ingredients in my Smart Balance are "natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, flaxseed, canola, and olive oils), soy lecithin". So this is ok for allergic kids?

eema.gray
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I usually leave it on the counter overnight to let the flavors really mix together, then into the fridge.  It would PROBABLY be okay on the counter but I feel a little safer keeping it the fridge.

I think it might be a souther Italy/Scilian thing, the cookbook I got it from was supposed to be Scicilian recipes.

Quoting gdiamante:

Oooh, I don't remember my grandparents ever doing this. So then you stir it all and pop it in the fridge? I can't imagine that would stay well at room temperature.

Quoting eema.gray:

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

Arisce
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Quoting kristinas8:

The soy ingredients in my Smart Balance are "natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, flaxseed, canola, and olive oils), soy lecithin". So this is ok for allergic kids?

It might be. If she's not having rxns then it's probably okay. Just keep an eye out.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Yes, that is ok for MOST allergic kids.  Only the most extremely sensitive will react to oil and lecithin.  My son had multiple and some severe reactions and never reacted to soy oil or lecithin, but you may want to check with your pediatrician prior to using it.

Quoting kristinas8:

preggomama26
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:41 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)