Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding and church

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:17 PM
  • 67 Replies

I know this may start a big debate, but I just don't know what to do.  I really want to go to church, but I'm also a breastfeeding mom, and all the churches I know of seem to think that you cannot breastfeed and be a Christian at the same time.  All  the churches routinely tell a breastfeeding mother to leave or feed their baby in the bathroom.  I cannot in good concious feed my newborn in a bathroom, it isn't sanitary.  Would you want to eat dinner in a public restroom?  And it hurts very much to be told to leave.  I had a very hard time becoming a Christian in the first place because I was repeatedly kicked out of churches when I was younger. (for not wearing a dress, although I dressed far more modestly than the girls who did wear dresses, another time because my boyfriend and I went to the same church and when we broke up the pastor said that they didn't want conflict and had to send one of us away for the good of the church and I was the one they chose to send away).   I don't understand the hostility I keep meeting in the Christian community about breastfeeding.  Just a generation ago, women breastfed right in the church during service and no one thought a thing of it.  It is quite easy to nurse a baby, especially a very young baby, in front of many people and not show so much as a flash of skin.  And I'm very experienced with discreet nursing!  I'm on my third baby after successfully nursing two others.  I feel that the Bible is very pro-breastfeeding.  Jesus was breastfed by Mary, it talks about Hannah not letting Samuel go until he was weaned from her, it says that dry breasts are a curse on a household, and so on.  I really want to raise my kids in church, but I also want to use my breasts to nourish my child just like God designed them to.   Help, please?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
masesmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM

i belong to a pretty strict Lutheran church they have a "mothers room" and stuff.  Most people dont wear dresses, and ive seen many including myself Bfeeding during the service.  I think you may be being to paranoid, either that or the churches were you live are messed up! 

Good lunck momma, i wouldnt bat an eye about it!

lionslambs
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Wow!  sounds like quite the conundrum you are in.    Have you actually breastfed in church before?? were u covered or not?? and did anyone say nething to you and if so what did they say? and what kind of church do you go to?? I go to a non-denominational church and there is a nursery for the babies, and that is where I nurse my son.  I wouldn't mind nursing him in church, especically when he was little, but now he just gets so distracted and pulls off I would rather it be in a more quiet area.  also when i am done nursing i can leave the baby in the nursery with the 'kingdom kid' workers.  Good luck 2 u and just pray 4 God 2 open there hearts...keep looking until you find a church that meets ALL ur needs.

Arisce
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Jesus was breastfed and I doubt Mary nurse him in the bathroom. I know she didn't have a car. I don't get the big deal?

Aimee91
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM

i walk around bf at my church, all the time, and every one looks and her all while shes eating, i guess thats just how comfertable i am with my church. no one thinks a thing about it, atleast they never say anything to my face lol

cmiller83
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:30 PM
I go to a VERY conservative baptist church and bf moms are not shunned by any means but it would not be approprate to nurse in mixed company. There is a nursery that moms go to and nurse, there's a tv in there to listen to the sermon as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyPooh0525
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with those churches, but remember that those are people and not God. So dont turn away from him.  I attend a non-denominational church as well and I would just nurse in the nursery for the babies. That way no one is discomforted

motherslove82
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I have NEVER had any problem breastfeeding in church! I am so sorry that they treated you that way. All I can say is to keep looking until you find a church that isn't so uptight. GOD created breastfeeding and they have no right to make you hide like you are doing something shameful. Don't let the attitudes of a few sour you towards church. I honestly cannot believe you are having such a hard time. I'm sorry.

eema.gray
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Sounds like you're going to the wrong sort of churches, honestly.  I'd find something different, maybe a different branch of Christianity, that is more welcoming of women in general.

Ajanee12
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM

our lutheran church does too, you walk in the "bathroom" door and its like a huge living room with couches recliners fridge magazines then there is another door to the bathrooms.

Quoting masesmom:

i belong to a pretty strict Lutheran church they have a "mothers room" and stuff.  Most people dont wear dresses, and ive seen many including myself Bfeeding during the service.  I think you may be being to paranoid, either that or the churches were you live are messed up! 

Good lunck momma, i wouldnt bat an eye about it!

kristinas8
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I used to go to a very strict Baptist church and at first we mothers nursed in the nursery with the rocking chair facing away from the door. Then 2 of the unused Sunday school rooms were fitted with a comfy chair and side table and signs on the door "Nursing room". All of us mom's nursed our babies and would have been looked down on for not using what God gave us to feed our babies. There was one mom who had a lot of issues and ended up bottlefeeding, so everyone understood, but if you can you should breastfeed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)