Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

water in a bottle (older baby)

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM
  • 3 Replies

so my baby girl...isn't so much a baby girl :p she's 8.5 months old. Long story short, she has gotten in the habit of sucking on a bottle for her bedtime meal (it's pumped breastmilk). I b'feed her all other times in the day,, and honestly I'm not too worried that she has a bottle before bed, it actually helps me "get to bed" faster, and kinda give me a breastfeeding break.BUT, one time I put her in bed...with 2 oz left, and..yea...downhill from there. now she has to have an ounce or two to suck on to go to sleep at nights. Again I'm not too worried, as my other kids did this, and were weaned off the bedtime bottle around 13 months.  ANYway, today for lunch, she was thirsty (i always give her some water after lunch) all her sippies were dirty...so I grabbed a bottle and tried to help her drink out of it like a normal cup, ..i about drowned her...so I put a nipple on it, and she was super happy about drinking water out of it.

Question is, you think it would be ok, to give her 1-2 oz of water in a bottle for her bedtime "routine"? or does the fact that it's in a bottle, mess up her sikey, and she will drink more water than needed because of comfort? the bottle is really just her method of pacifying..and I have a 22 mo old to get to bed, so I'm really not against her pacifying herself to sleep so I can get the other one to bed lol

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Come visit my database I have collected of KILLER deals and Free samples! http://dealspl.us/user/mkaaaaw

by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mama02040608
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM
Personally, if you don't mind breaking her of it later, then go for it. I have 4 kids 7 and under and anything that expedites bedtime is a godsend! All my kids have had bottles or binkies at bedtime and they're pretty well adjusted, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM

MY kids had sippies of water after around ayear but not before, I don't give water really to infants, but I guess 2 oz wouldn't be too bad

hoping4number3
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM

thanks everyone :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)