Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ringworm and breastfeeding

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM
  • 12 Replies

I just went to the doctors because, I had what I thought was a large bug bite on my leg.  Turns out it is ringworm.  My doctor is telling me to wean over the next two weeks because they won't be able to treat me until then.  My son will be 1 year old in 2 weeks.  Has anyone had experience with this.  I am so upset I didn't want to wean yet :(.  I am also afraid that if I stop this suddenly it will have a tramatic effect on my son.  At the same time I don't want my son to contract ring worm from me. I have calls out to the lactation consultant and our ped.

by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I had one when my daughter was born and treated it with tea tree oil.

Mickmom080209
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

did you continue to breastfeed?

misty82
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

You can get over the counter cream for it that shouldn't hurt your little one if you are nursing.  My son had ringworm on his arm when he was a year old and I used over the counter cream and it went away in less than 2 weeks.  As long as you wash your hands and don't touch him after scratching it, he isn't going to get it thru your breastmilk.  Even if he gets it, it isn't anything serious! 

JasonsMom2007
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Yes, my daughter is 3 months old now :)

Quoting Mickmom080209:

did you continue to breastfeed?

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

Gruntlings
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Why can't they treat you until then? You don't need to wean. Just make sure he doesn't come in contact with the infected area. He's more likely to catch ringworm from your not washing your hands than he is from breastfeeding. 

Get some athlete's foot cream, it can kill ringworm. Unless you've been diagnosed with the "more difficult to treat" version of it. 

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/commoninfections/a/ringworm.htm

MNLETLE
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM
Your Dr is AB idiot. Sorry, but there is NO reason to stop nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MNLETLE
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM
An* I love And hate cm mobile

Quoting MNLETLE:

Your Dr is AB idiot. Sorry, but there is NO reason to stop nursing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mickmom080209
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM

My doctor is giving me to topical treatments for now but said if those don't work they should start the oral meds which are not safe for BF. I was planning on starting a little bit of cows milk in a couple of weeks but I was hoping to wean very gradually maybe by 13 or 14 months.

My sons ped says I can continue to BF as long as I don't take the oral meds and only use the topical ones. He also said I could start the cows milk two weeks early.

Wife2003
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM
If u are doing topical ur fine also try the natural remedies. He is maybe right about the oral kind. It's called grisiofulvin, I'm sure that's the wrong spelling. But that's usually not needed unless it's ringworm on the scalp. Check online if it's ok to nurse while taking it. DS took that when he was 4 for ringworm on the scalp.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hannahsmomma1
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hi I know this is an old post but I hope to get a reply. I am breastfeeding my daughter and developed a red, peeling patch on my areola and have been treating it with Melalueca which is a tea tree essential oil but I am not sure how many times a day to put it on. Ive also been putting lavender on it. Not sure if ringworm or thrush. 

How many times a day did you apply the tea tree oil and how long did it take to disappear? Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)