Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried I'm possibly 'losing' my milk?!?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM
  • 7 Replies

DD is 3 months old and in the midst of a growth spurt I think...and hope! It all started on Thursday when I had to leave my two younger girls with the IL's. Something completely unexpected came up and it took longer than I thought it would. I was gone for 7 hours and didn't have my breast pump with (being out in a cattle pasture fixing fence wasn't somewhere I thought I'd be that long to even NEED the pump!) Anyway by the time I got home I was so ready to nurse! Gramma had just fed her so I ended up pumping. After that long I only got 6 oz from both sides. Not long after I pumped she was hungry again so I nursed. She slept all night, as usual and woke up to nurse as usual. Yesterday I couldn't keep her satisfied at all but kept at it assuming, again, that we would get through this little spurt. Today was another one of those days here on the farm. I wasn't prepared to be away from home so much so I didn't drink nearly enough water and I'm wondering if I'm still producing OK since she's nursing so much more. It seems like she's getting nothing but I don't know.

Sorry this is such a rambling mess. Basically wondering if my lax water intake will make me lose my milk or if I just need to replenish my fluids to replenish my milk. Thanks Mamas!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom-lovingit
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM

BUMP!

Char07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM
Replenish your fluids and keep nursing as needed and you'll be fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emgraciesmama
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM

BUMP!

emgraciesmama
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM

THANKS!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Quoting Char07:

Replenish your fluids and keep nursing as needed and you'll be fine :)

Daynaof3
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Don't stress, sounds like a growth spurt. Just keep nursing on demand and if you are nervous just count diapers. She should be having 4-5+ sopping wets a day, poops vary child to child.

Gailll
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Water intake isn't the issue, it doesn't matter. The baby getting bottles and you not pumping are the two problems. On days that you are away you need to make up for it by nursing more, every two hours. Wake baby at night and nurse. If you take a couple of days of constant contact with your baby nursing every 2-3 hours around the clock you should bring back an abundant supply. It's the suckling that makes milk not drinking water. 

You don't really "lose milk". Your breasts aren't like containers. The milk glands are modified sweat glands. When the baby suckles the brain sends a message by hormones to the gland to make milk and another to make it contract and release the milk. If the breasts get stimulated then the process works.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)