Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this true?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:53 AM
  • 11 Replies

My dd is 3 months old and is EBF.  She has nasty smelling farts and I do mean, clear the room nasty.  She farts all the time it seems, but they only stink when she hasn't pooped in a few days which is a recent thing it seems.  Any way I was told today by  her aunt who is a nurse, a stroke nurse mind you, that the reason her farts stink is because of some thing in my diet that she's not digesting properly.  Is this true or is it because she's not pooping every day?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom-lovingit
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM

BUMP!

mss119
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I don't know for sure which it is for your daughter, but your diet CAN give her gas.  My daughter has a suspected milk allergy (they said we can't confirm it til she's 6 months old), so I can't east dairy at ALL.  Also, if I eat cabbage, it makes her super gassy.

mily_21
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:05 AM

im not sure but certain things i ate did affect her...hope this helps

jkleinman
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:05 AM

I've cut out dairy before and it didn't change the gas.  I cut out peanut butter and no change.  She doesn't really spit up too much.  It's just these god awful farts some times.  As I said they only stink when she hasn't pooped in a few days.

Quoting mss119:

I don't know for sure which it is for your daughter, but your diet CAN give her gas.  My daughter has a suspected milk allergy (they said we can't confirm it til she's 6 months old), so I can't east dairy at ALL.  Also, if I eat cabbage, it makes her super gassy.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:17 AM
I've always noticed this as well. None of my babies pooped every day, which is normal I guess because breastmilk doesn't necessarily leave much waste. But the farts seem waaaaay stinkier than the poop that eventually shows up. My babies (4 of them) probably pooped every 3 or 4 days by the time they were 3 or 4 months, quite a reduced number considering they had been pooping nearly with each feeding, easily 8 times a day. I've been dairy free in the past and it didn't matter. I have no idea what the stink is about but I'm used to the pattern already.

Quoting jkleinman:

I've cut out dairy before and it didn't change the gas.  I cut out peanut butter and no change.  She doesn't really spit up too much.  It's just these god awful farts some times.  As I said they only stink when she hasn't pooped in a few days.

Quoting mss119:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:20 AM

My now 1y/o has TERRIBLE stinky farts. It doesn't matter what I eat or what he eats (now that he also gets solids). He has always had awfully smelling gas. Often I go to change his diaper thinking it will be full of poop and it is just wet. However, he does seem uncomfortable or in any pain, so I figure it's just one of those things.

Pandana
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Haha.....my sonwas that way. I avoided "gassy" foods for awhile because it was upsetting his stomach. But the gas he DID have still smelled just terrible. To the point that it was humorous (how could such a foul odor come out of something so small LOL?) He has no food allerges at all, and once he started solids he never had any sensitivites or digestive problems.

I know that's not an educated answer or anything, sorry LOL. Just relaying my expereince. I had a stinky one too, but I never saw any indication of a problem digesting anything then or since. Aside from the gas itself. Which didn't seem to bother him.....just everyone else LOL.

Wife2003
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM
I have the blandest diet u could imagine. When DS get close to poop day his farts start to stink as well lol but his poop doesn't!!! It's weird!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotherofIreland
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Meh, the only thing I watch in my diet is the food going into my mouth.  DS farts can stink but I guess I don't sweat it.

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:42 AM

not to be gross but, doesn't this happen to adults, too? it sounds normal to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)