Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pooping only every 3 days?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son is almost 7 weeks old & he only goes poop every 2-3 days!? He has regular pee diapers but poop is VERY rare & when he goes he blows his cloth diapers [which hold VERY well lol]. Am i doing something wrong???

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:29 AM
I just responded to another post about this! My babies, four of them, pooped every 2-4 days. Iwas told by LCs that because the baby digests the breastmilk so completely that sometimes there is just no waste. Despite my history, each time it freaks me out and I worry about constipation, despite what I was told, and despite the fact that I can SMELL a great deal of gas passing through the baby's gut. Normal!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandana
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Nope, they're all different. It's perfectly normal for some babies to only poop every few days. For others, it's a few a day. (I had one of each LOL.) The only reason it would be a problem is if it was he was actually constipated, meaning if he was uncomfortable or in pain due to not going. Infrequent pooping is totally fine as long as he's not uncomfortable.

acaisha
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:31 AM

my breast fed babies used to only poop once a week or sometimes as long as a week and a half between then yep would blow out the diaper. Its normal... also the gas LOL I could always tell when they were due for a poop because they would fart so much it was nasty. Just makes you appreciate how much 'crap' literally is in formula VS breast milk.

Wife2003
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM
Very normal lol I was worried at first when DS slowed down to every 3 days around 6 wks but found out it's just fine!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotherofIreland
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Mine poops once a week. =)  Completely normal.

BaByMaMa27
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:42 AM

THANK GOD! What would I do without you ladies!?

Daynaof3
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:12 AM

It's completely normal. Here's a great article if you are interested too: http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

It talks about what's "normal" for breastfed babies in the end of the article.

IMAMOMx4
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Nope. My first 3 would only go once a week at that age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)