Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 week old throwing up??? help!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have a 2 week old that i am breastfeeding and today he is spitting up ALOT.  I dont even know how he has anything left in his tummy, hes thrown up three times now in about an hour, a pretty big amount each time.  Should i be worried or is this normal for a newborn?? im a first time mom so i really have no idea what is normal. 

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ShadowLark
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM

NOT normal for a newborn.  They DO hit a 2 week growth spurt - maybe he just took in more than he should have and now he's clearing himself out.  BUT they also get sick.  Or they develop stuff like Pyloric Stenosis or bad reflux.  I'd take him in just to make sure he's ok since he's so young.  If he were older, I'd say wait and see - you should have at least 24 hours.  But with a 2 week old?  If he's really not keeping anything down, dehydration alone can get VERY scary within 24 hours.  Take him in!

mindi6103
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM

If his output is down then I would worry.  Also he's pretty young to be throwing up. I would talk to your pedi just to make sure he's not sick.

mama02040608
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:42 AM

How is his breastfeeding? Does he seem to have problems keeping up with your milk when you let down? Does he pop off the breast and cough/choke and you're still spraying milk all over?  Then you could have overactive letdown and an oversupply.  Baby is simply getting too much and doesn't have the skills to lessen the flow. I had this and my oldest was like a fountain after every feeding.  There are things you can do, like block feeding to fix this (wish I knew that 8 years ago!).  It often looks like much more is being spit up than actually is coming out.  I would say that as long as diapers are fine and the baby doesn't seem in distress, not to worry.  But if none of those things are the case, then call your pedi.

grapejelly
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM

i have a 2 week old too - she's only  done big spit ups 2 times.. it was from over active let down and air bubbles that we didn't get burped up... does it seem like that?  is she still having wet diapers?

carly7871
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM

my lil girl did this. i took her to the doc. he first asked if she was spitting up or throwing up. there's a diff. Grace spit up what seemed like a lot but wasn't really that much. one morning she didn't keep anything down! he told me to not feed her for an hour and give her an ounce of pedialyte (the clear) then feed 5 minutes at a time and see how she did w/ keeping it down. she didn't take much of the pedialyte but the nursing 5 minutes then waiting a half hour or so to make sure she's not spitting up worked so...i hope this helps. 

Tictactara03
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM

thanks.  He isnt fussy or anything not even while he was spitting up/throwin up...i dont know the difference. (he is sleeping right now).  His output has been normal and he hasnt had any problems with breastfeeding or spit up before this.  Im gonna wait until he wakes up, feed him and see if he keeps it down i think. 

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Spit up just kind of rolls down or maybe projects an inch or so from the body. Vomit is projectile across the room. The difference is very important. If it is just spit up, I would not worry as long as diaper count is good. If it is projectile vomiting, call the doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)