Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids with allergies?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM
  • 7 Replies

A few weeks ago I gave my -now- 1 yr old a little bit of some yogurt I was eating, it had pecans in it.  She had a strange reaction all over her mouth (I knew it wasn't the yogurt because she had yogurt before).  So I talked to her pedi and got her referred to an allergist.  Took here there on Friday and he told me that she is indeed allergic to pecans, that I should keep her away from all nuts just in case and gave me an epipen. 

My question, which I forgot to ask the doctor is.  Would it still be ok for ME to consume pecans?  She breastfeeds 3-4 times per day, mostly after meals and before bedtime.  I wanted to buy some butter pecan ice cream but now I'm not sure.

If your babies have any allergies, do you still consume whatever they are allergic to while breastfeeding?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
epoh
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM
I would avoid it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wife2003
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM
Nope. I don't... Granted he is only 3mo and EBF so the way I know he has allergies is through what I eat!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoastieWifePR
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

well, that is the thing, she never had a reaction until I gave it to her "directly".  She didn't eat the pecan, just the yogurt that came in contact with it.  I used to eat pecan pie a lot when she was younger, butter pecan ice cream occasionally, and I love to put pecans on my yogurt, cereal and salads, she never had a reaction through breast milk.

Quoting Wife2003:

Nope. I don't... Granted he is only 3mo and EBF so the way I know he has allergies is through what I eat!!!

Wife2003
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM
That's a toughy!!! Can u just call the ped and ask????

Quoting CoastieWifePR:

well, that is the thing, she never had a reaction until I gave it to her "directly".  She didn't eat the pecan, just the yogurt that came in contact with it.  I used to eat pecan pie a lot when she was younger, butter pecan ice cream occasionally, and I love to put pecans on my yogurt, cereal and salads, she never had a reaction through breast milk.

Quoting Wife2003:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abelsmama07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM

did the allergist test for other nuts?  generally, most of them go hand in hand. as the mother of a child highly allergic to peanuts & tree nuts... i would avoid nuts COMPLETELY, for the rest of your nursing relationship.  even if she isn't showing a reaction to your eating it, she's still being exposed, and every exposure will make an allergy more severe. 

eta ... if your allergist didn't test for other nuts... i would find a new allergist asap.

kristinas8
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I would ask the alergist. He's probably going to say avoid it, because even though he was getting it through your milk, he has now had a full blown reaction, which means he "could" react to you to but worse this time.

CoastieWifePR
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM

yes, he tested for all nuts separately.  But the only one that had a reaction was pecans.  He is going to re-test her in one year and until then he told me to not give her any nuts.

Quoting abelsmama07:

did the allergist test for other nuts?  generally, most of them go hand in hand. as the mother of a child highly allergic to peanuts & tree nuts... i would avoid nuts COMPLETELY, for the rest of your nursing relationship.  even if she isn't showing a reaction to your eating it, she's still being exposed, and every exposure will make an allergy more severe. 

eta ... if your allergist didn't test for other nuts... i would find a new allergist asap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)