Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT-How do you kids ride in the car? EDITED

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM
  • 96 Replies

I know most of us have small babies, but many of us have larger/older kids too.  BFing and its info is my passion, but so is carseat safety.  I have had some pretty drastic situation to make me very very passionate about it. 

**DISCLAIMER*** This is not a post to attack moms about their choices, this is to give info and to HELP moms who want help, this is to give info to those who may not have it.

I strongly believe in ERF(extended rear facing) and EH(extended harnessing) and not boostering til a child is old enough, big eough and mature enough to rie in a seatbelt..they must pass teh 5 step test in my family.

Do you know the laws for your state?

How old are your kids?t?

How much do they weigh?

How tall are they?

What carseats are they in?

Which direction do they face?

Do you have any added headrests, padding, strap covers etc added to their seats that did not come with them?

Share your pictures...state if you would like for someone to critique them for mistakes that are easily seen, if you just want to share then just share and state that(please respect the moms who do not want the opinions of others).

ETA

Are your seats installed with LATCH or seatbelt?

Are they top tethered?

ALL states have either a 1 and 20lbs law or a correct usafe law and no seats allow FFING before 1 and 20lbs.  Some even say 22lb and 34 inches!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nngmommy83
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Do you know the laws for your state? Yes, 20lbs and 1 year to be allowed to FF

How old are your kids? almost 10 and 14 months

How much do they weigh? Not sure on the 10 year old but maybe about 60lbs, 14 month old is about 30

How tall are they? 10 year old is about 4' 9" and 14 months old about 33"

What carseats are they in? DS is in the MyRide 65 and DD rides buckled in the backseat always

Which direction do they face? he's still RF

Do you have any added headrests, padding, strap covers etc added to their seats that did not come with them? No

mamalinzie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Do you know the laws for your state?   Michigan law  8 year old OR 4'9" to be out of a seat. But Michigan is also a proper usage clause state, which means you have to follow the manufacturers specifications.

How old are your kids?  4 years old

How much do they weigh? 31.5lbs

How tall are they? 38.5 inches

What carseats are they in? Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL and Sunshine Kids Radian 65

Which direction do they face? The XT is rear-facing in my car, and forward facing in my MILs car.

Do you have any added headrests, padding, strap covers etc added to their seats that did not come with them? nope

Share your pictures...state if you would like for someone to critique them for mistakes that are easily seen, if you just want to share then just share and state that(please respect the moms who do not want the opinions of others).

Why does my Pre-Schooler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

owensmommy1122
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Do you know the laws for your state? yes. in georiga they just have to be in a car seat or booster until age 6 that is suitable for thier age and height and remain in the back seat.

How old are your kids? 32 months old

How much do they weigh? 36lbs

How tall are they? 38in

What carseats are they in? myride65

Which direction do they face? ff now....was rf until 29-30 months

Do you have any added headrests, padding, strap covers etc added to their seats that did not come with them? nope

LorisChar
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Do you know the laws for your state? Yes , 4'8" or 40 lbs to get out of a booster

How old are your kids? 9 yrs, 5 yr, and 8.5 months

How much do they weigh? The 9 year old over 50 pounds, 5 year old 38 pounds, and 8.5 month old not sure what he weighs now but was 16.8 at his 6 month check up

How tall are they? Not sure about the nine year old (I'm 5'2" and he's right at my shoulders), 5 year old is 42" tall, not sure about the 8.5 month old. Will find out at his 9 month check up

What carseats are they in? 9 yr old just uses the car seat in the back seat all the time, 5 year old is in the cosco high back booster with reg seat belt, 8.5 month old is in the cosco convertable 

Which direction do they face? 9 and 5 year old forward facing and baby rear facing

Do you have any added headrests, padding, strap covers etc added to their seats that did not come with them? no

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Andrew is 4' 4 3/4" and just shy of 80 pounds.  He rides without a booster because our vehicle is OLD and only has lap belts. : (  My husband has been letting him sit in the front when it is only the two of them.  I have been trying to tell him that I recently read that the NV law stated that he should be riding in the back seat.  But the front seat does not have an air bag and it does have a lap/shoulder belt.  Would that be safer anyway?  Johnathan has recently been switched forward facing (against my wishes) because my husband was not comfortable with the way it was rear facing in the vehicle.  He is about 3' and 28-30 pounds.

MoonLover06
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM
I don't know the law. I don't reallycare since my 3.5 year old is still RFing. She is 23lbs and 33inches. She rides in a Cosco Scerena. There is nothing under her seat or attatched to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalinzie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Also, are your childrens seats installed with latch or seatbelt?  do youu use the top tether?

My car is a 97 so it does not have the latch system. We use the lap belt for our center installation and since its a radian it can be tethered rf.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Do you know the laws for your state?RF 1 and 20, FF 4 and 40lbs in harness, booster til 8 and 80lbs or 8 and 4'9"

How old are your kids?3 months, 3 years, 6 years and 8 years

How much do they weigh?almost 12lbs, 30lns, 40lbs and 45lbs

How tall are they?25 inches or so, 42 inches, 46 inches and 48 inches

What carseats are they in?True fit premier, True fit, Graco Nautilus and Vivo booster

Which direction do they face?youngest is RFed the rest are FFed

Do you have any added headrests, padding, strap covers etc added to their seats that did not come with them?nope

(last time AUbrey was harnessed)

first time in his carseat

(last time RFing)

mamalinzie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I would definitely have him in the front seat with the lap/soulder belt. Lap belt only is very, very dangerous. If there is a law about children being in the front, they make exceptions for vehicles that dont have shoulder belts in the back, etc.  An enourmous amount of stress is put on the abdomen, internal organs, and spine, when in an accidentt with just a lap belt. Google search Brynn Duncan for a real life story about what can happen without a shoulder belt.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Andrew is 4' 4 3/4" and just shy of 80 pounds.  He rides without a booster because our vehicle is OLD and only has lap belts. : (  My husband has been letting him sit in the front when it is only the two of them.  I have been trying to tell him that I recently read that the NV law stated that he should be riding in the back seat.  But the front seat does not have an air bag and it does have a lap/shoulder belt.  Would that be safer anyway?  Johnathan has recently been switched forward facing (against my wishes) because my husband was not comfortable with the way it was rear facing in the vehicle.  He is about 3' and 28-30 pounds.

Why does my Pre-Schooler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Do you know the laws for your state? YES, 20 LBS AND A YEAR FOR FF. 8 YEARS AND 80 LBS TO BE ALLOWED TO BE OUT OF A CAR SEAT.

How old are your kids?DD IS ALMOST 25 MONTHS

How much do they weigh?24 LBS

How tall are they?34 INCHES

What carseats are they in?RECARO PRORIDE

Which direction do they face?FF :(

Do you have any added headrests, padding, strap covers etc added to their seats that did not come with them?NOPE

**DISCLAIMER: I'VE ALREADY TALKED TO TABI AND I AM TAKING THE SEAT TO A PROFESSIONAL TO SEE IF SHE/HE CAN GET IT TO WORK RF. WE GOT THE SEAT ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO, SO THAT IS WHEN SHE WENT FF. OUR PREVIOUS SEAT, WHICH MY PARENT'S USE, WAS A TRUE FIT. SHE WAS RF IN THAT UNTIL WE GOT THE NEW SEAT.**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)