Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a off topic question but i need help

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

me and my ex have joint custody but she is to reside with me not him he gets her on the 2nd and forth weeken (his chosen) on saturdays from noon to 7pm  and on sundays from noon to 7pm no over nights. he says that he can declair our two girls on taxes (we have a 12 week old but no court order yet) cause  he has the right to his share to is that realy true. he told me i better claim them on the 1st befor he does is that really true? i live in texas by the way...... HELP

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM

here in CA they can only be claimed by the person they live over 50% of the time with.

armywife1229
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the case everywhere.

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

here in CA they can only be claimed by the person they live over 50% of the time with.

Maddape48854
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM

He can only claim them if you give him permission or there is a court order that you get to claim them one year and he gets the next.

VintageWife
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Quoting Maddape48854:

He can only claim them if you give him permission or there is a court order that you get to claim them one year and he gets the next.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Yea, I think that is a federal thing, not a state by state thing.  He can go right ahead and claim them, but you claim them too, and when the IRS comes and does an investigation, they will find that the children live with you and he only has visitation.  He will get in trouble and fined and you will get the extra tax money.

Quoting armywife1229:

I'm pretty sure this is the case everywhere.

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

tabetha_w
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:53 PM

i hope so..... i mean he only gets my oldest 2 times a month when hes sappost to get her 4 time. He only pays me 146 a month for her that dosn't even cover half of what she needs

chell.chell
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Yeah everyone has already said it. You get to claim them because you are the one who technically supports them and puts a roof over their heads. It is a federal thing and since they are with you over 50% of the time he has no right to claim them and if he does will get in trouble in the long run. . Unless you were to give him permission to claim them. 

tabetha_w
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM

thank yall so much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)